Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Observations

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We still have no power. It's going to be a cold night...

I took a drive around the neighborhood and the roads really aren't that bad. Lots of slush, but you can get traction. The main roads don't look too bad at all.

I took a few measurements and it looks like we got around 3.5" out of this one. I'm satisfied, though I could have done without losing power...

Good luck to you guys down east!!!

i'll be interested to see the final accum' map. we had around a 1/4 of an inch here and then it basically stopped at 9pm. NWS had 3-7 forecasted this morn.There wasn't anything but drizzle b/n 9pm and 12am, when I expected the best accumulation potential. A very big model bust, but it also displays the difficulty in forecasting a small bowlling ball upper low. I do believe some people did very well up along the high country and the nc/va border areas. That was expected however.

As will I, It was very interesting  in Lenoir, as I came back down from boone it was obvious the downsloping going on. Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch had accumulated in the northern areas, but as I got to southern part of Lenoir we had 2 inches and the roads were covered. So it was definitely similar to march 09 in that regard. But it seemed like the trajectory of the wind causing the downsloping was slightly different, which allowed my area to get a couple inches more with this ULL. Boone got crushed, but that was expected.

Complete bust in Carrboro with 0.5" going to be the total at this point. I am very thankful I drove to the Triad and caught some thundersnow! That was the saving grace of this storm. For many I know it will go down as a fail.

"Fail" is not an adequate enough qualifier.  I'm still searching for one that is worthy.

We still have no power. It's going to be a cold night...

I took a drive around the neighborhood and the roads really aren't that bad. Lots of slush, but you can get traction. The main roads don't look too bad at all.

I took a few measurements and it looks like we got around 3.5" out of this one. I'm satisfied, though I could have done without losing power...

Good luck to you guys down east!!!

About an inch less here.  I haven't lost power though.  I'll give up the extra inch of snow to keep the electric on.  I was a bit surprised how quickly the roads got bad.  I woud imagine that melting will occur through the night due to the warm ground and tomorrow mornings commute won't be too bad.  Of course you will hear of some accidents caused by those who refuse to adjust for conditions but most will do fine.

Neighborhood report much appreciated. I'm near Fountain. thought I was just seeing a few wet flakes starting to mix in.

We got to throw some snowballs from off the cars at one another, that was fun, just glad I came through with a promise to my girl that it could snow tonight. Ending quickly, see the stars now.

Archived