joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Observations

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wife heard a rumble of thunder about 15 min ago.  I had decent snow coming down at one stretch, but overall, just a trace here.  Good banding continues SW of Charlotte, so that may rotate through S Charlotte, Rock Hill, Union county

Yep I was hoping that banding down there may rotate up towards me but it stayed south.  Oh well, the far western side of the county just couldn't get it done as my wife just texted me about it snowing off Billy Graham/85.  That is literally probably 5 miles as the crow flies, if that, from our house.  Outside of a few sleet pellets around 4:30 and some tiny flakes mixing in around 7 or 8, it has been nothing but the liquid variety here.  Maybe it'll snow while I'm in Ohio working these next two weeks.  Of course I spent all of last winter working in Indiana (and at home over in NODA on my weeks off) and only saw maybe a total of 3" of snow, if that.  Here's to a rocking February.

Right on 32 here in downtown Kannapolis, and slightly over a half-inch of real wet sloppy snow on the grass.  It's starting to slush up on the street outside, and it's still coming down steadily.  There may still be some rain mixed in with it.

We had one close lightning flash and good loud thunder crack about 20 minutes ago.  Thundersnow!

Its almost like its TOO convective...you can sort of see a rolling convective banding feature on the radar

Exactly...I wasn't expecting much myself but was hoping to get under a heavy band for an hour or so but it just hasn't happened.  I have seen some snow so I can't complain.

I may have been too quick to call it here in High Point, huge flakes falling right now, as big as I've seen.  Hopefully it ends with a bang.  For those of you to the east, these returns on the back edge look lighter on radar than they actually are so don't give up all hope.

I can attest to this fact.  Even when the radar returns were thin, I was getting good snowfall.  Right now, the large flakes have returned at a good rate.

Archived