joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Observations

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep...not a single flake up here in Dahlonega either.  Total bust.  I told all my local peeps maybe 1" and that was a total bust.  I actually feel bad for FFC issuing the WSWarning and not one flake fell.  Up here we received less than .10" of QPF after 5pm which just won't cut it when this whole deal was dependent on high QPF rates to create the dynamic cooling from aloft.  Oh well...next.   Turns out for GA the model soundings won out in that pretty much none of them showed snow in GA.

I almost fell over when I saw that FFC issued a WSW....and then they followed with the warning as well.  Unusual to say the least.  Have you heard of any reports out of the NW of the state in and north of Rome?  I'm curious if anyone in Georgia had anything measurable?

I almost fell over when I saw that FFC issued a WSW....and then they followed with the warning as well.  Unusual to say the least.  Have you heard of any reports out of the NW of the state in and north of Rome?  I'm curious if anyone in Georgia had anything measurable?

I have not heard anything but the one report from a fellow poster here who drove up to woody gap in lumpkin and said they had wet snow but no accumulation.  I'll know in the morning if anything accumulated north of Helen because I have a clear view of those mountains from my front porch.  I'm at 1,700 feet and didn't see any flakes.  I told local friends maybe 1" and that was a bust.  Oh well...

Probably my last chime-in unless I wake up to three feet of snow...

32 degrees and light snow here in GSO.  Getting down to the final half hour or so of anything significant.  Currently, right at 4" total on the back deck, but there was some melting.  Given this sort of iffy dynamic scenario, I can't be disappointed even though the models might have underperformed according to some.  The kids will have some snow to play in tomorrow morning.  It's supposed to be sunny and cold Friday.  I doubt the snow will hang around long.

Glad I got to see some snow. I guess I did pretty good, but seems like most didn't see the amount forecasted.

I think overall you and I did about as expected. Certainly cannot complain as this is the best event in 2 years. Hopefully we can get one or two more before the season ends.

i'll be interested to see the final accum' map. we had around a 1/4 of an inch here and then it basically stopped at 9pm. NWS had 3-7 forecasted this morn.There wasn't anything but drizzle b/n 9pm and 12am, when I expected the best accumulation potential. A very big model bust, but it also displays the difficulty in forecasting a small bowlling ball upper low. I do believe some people did very well up along the high country and the nc/va border areas. That was expected however.

I heard Trenton, GA got a few inches. Very far NW corner of the state.

Any reports from Boone? Was thinking of brining the family up this weekend. Thanks.

Was up there for a few hours tonight. It was incredible, rates were insane for a few hours, they should have at least 6". People were stranded on 321 in between boone and blowing rock. I was involved in a pretty bad accident near chick-fil-a/ applebees in boone. Probably totaled the other persons car. Just NW of boone on 421 the snow was just coming down in buckets, someone near the TN line probably has over a foot. I'm not sure on exact totals in boone but when I left there was at the very least 5 to 6 inches down, and it was still absolutely pouring snow.

Archived