joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Observations

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
moderate snow here again now. just walked outside and heard a single engine plane fly over coming from the direction of GSO. cant imagine flying that thing is fun right about now..

Saw your question about roads. You'll be fine. I'd wait to sun got up. It would take clear skies radiational cooling to get black ice tonight. Once snow stops it will be gone in a hurry, ground was just to warm and wet prior to this one for snow to have any staying power. Good news is after early next week things will be in much better shape for the next event.

Old wise tale says it always snows the hardest right before it quits.

Widre it is rate driven. If you lose the heavy rates it goes back to rain Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Well, there are no more heavy rates, so I guess no more snow.

Yeah take the 1/2-1" and suck it up :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Saw your question about roads. You'll be fine. I'd wait to sun got up. It would take clear skies radiational cooling to get black ice tonight. Once snow stops it will be gone in a hurry, ground was just to warm and wet prior to this one for snow to have any staying power. Good news is after early next week things will be in much better shape for the next event. Old wise tale says it always snows the hardest right before it quits.

ill probably just take 64 and go the long way and avoid the country roads.

Looks like we still have a ways to go before we can trust the models when it comes to snow in NC outside the mountains.

It's everywhere.  Maybe in the NE they don't have rain issues but someone usually ends up in a dry slot and gets a tiny % of the forecast amount.  Nature of the beast.

Well finally, finally, finally some wet flakes mixing in.

This is the last time I get sucked into one of these 100% dynamics driven ULL events.

Seems like this one was just too warm, plain and simple........its hard enough as it is to get snow down here, but when temps are this marginal, it's tough.  I didn't get my hopes up for this one down here thank goodness, but I will say, I am surprised that I didn't see one flake or sleet pellet.  Heck, it was still 42 degrees when I left work this evening and by then the precip was over.  On to the next one!

Well, overall this was a bust from a guidance standpoint, especially south and west.  Still some additional snow to come through our area but ultimately the rates were not strong enough hence the rain mixing in some places.  Anyone notice what looked to be an outflow heading toward southeastern nc on the NWS radar?  I'm probably way off on that but looks pretty similiar to a summer thunderstorm.  Brick - unlikely, but maybe you'll here a few rumbles with this patch coming over from the High Point area. 

Seems like this one was just too warm, plain and simple........its hard enough as it is to get snow down here, but when temps are this marginal, it's tough.  I didn't get my hopes up for this one down here thank goodness, but I will say, I am surprised that I didn't see one flake or sleet pellet.  Heck, it was still 42 degrees when I left work this evening and by then the precip was over.  On to the next one!

Yep...not a single flake up here in Dahlonega either.  Total bust.  I told all my local peeps maybe 1" and that was a total bust.  I actually feel bad for FFC issuing the WSWarning and not one flake fell.  Up here we received less than .10" of QPF after 5pm which just won't cut it when this whole deal was dependent on high QPF rates to create the dynamic cooling from aloft.  Oh well...next.   Turns out for GA the model soundings won out in that pretty much none of them showed snow in GA.

Archived