joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 19th-20 Storm Thread II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a best case scenario, this storm has 12/19/2009 written all over it in terms of the distribution of snow for SNE. Late development will minimize impacts over the mid-Atlantic. It is almost comical to watch the model hugging chaos over the past several days. Look at the current system well suppressed over the ocean with the snow shield a good 75-100 miles off the New ENgland/ LI coast. A track over Block Island or Boston is virtually improbable given the blocking present last winter and once again this winter. The pattern remains suppressed and a track anywhere near the Benchmark would be welcomed. I am much more fearful of the SE of the BM solutions than one that comes anywhere near BOS or Block Island. At this point, I-95 to I-195 has a shot at snowfall, but I'd pick Chatham if I had to pick a bullseye.

Will feel good when 12z raobs tomorrow am sample energy in the PNW..need that to help amplify and slow the Southwest US energy, which allows for northern stream near MSP to phase and entire trof to neg tilt and bombo.

My concerns about the northern stream vortex about 3 days ago have certainly been solved given vortex retro across canada owing to sick blocking

weeeeeeeee

post-84-0-98211300-1292532377.gif

Hey Jerry, this one could be one for the record books if the 12z Euro Ensm man verify. Going to be a late night tonight watching the 00z runs along with the radio show to listen to.

Glad to hear you are healthy btw!

Long time to go, nice to see but it's still 4 days out. The other poster made a great point about blocking. Be a welcome change in any case.

In a best case scenario, this storm has 12/19/2009 written all over it in terms of the distribution of snow for SNE. Late development will minimize impacts over the mid-Atlantic. It is almost comical to watch the model hugging chaos over the past several days. Look at the current system well suppressed over the ocean with the snow shield a good 75-100 miles off the New ENgland/ LI coast. A track over Block Island or Boston is virtually improbable given the blocking present last winter and once again this winter. The pattern remains suppressed and a track anywhere near the Benchmark would be welcomed. I am much more fearful of the SE of the BM solutions than one that comes anywhere near BOS or Block Island. At this point, I-95 to I-195 has a shot at snowfall, but I'd pick Chatham if I had to pick a bullseye.

you could not be more wrong in your analysis

With the Nam having 2 lows at 78 and scattered heavy bouts of precipitation, its certainly confused IMO

The globals have the sfc low being steered by the vort rounding the base of the negatively tilting trough. The NAM has that, but has the sfc low popping out into the Atlantic on some convectively induced vorts.

Blocking isn't an issue when the storm involves a partial or full phase with the polar vortex. If there was no merger...then yes the block would show it's ugly head.

The globals have the sfc low being steered by the vort rounding the base of the negatively tilting trough. The NAM has that, but has the sfc low popping out into the Atlantic on some convectively induced vorts.

Its definitely convective feedback but as someone else pointed out, based on its 500mb setup earlier it was probably going to be a miss anyway.

This is silly reasoning since, using your explanation, the ECM should really "win" since it was first to even suggest this storm. Either way, no model wins. Overall they did a good job suggesting it. Even now this storm is most definitely not a definite hit.

Very hard to say what the criteria is for 'winning' in this case, especially when it hasn't verified.

Do you think the NFL started hiring more cleanup crews based on the 132hr gfs or not until the euro last night, or even now? If the two models were reversed we'd probably have found a few people slumped over steering wheels in their garage this morning.

The smart play is to always go with euro right now so it wins every time, but, perhaps its SW bias did make an appearance here? And the handling of the northern stream was only mediocre I'd say. Although people here were mentioning possible sw bias during days 5-7 when it was ots, no met could confidently say that sw bias was at play, and that forecasts should be based on the GFS. If anyone was, they were rightly called a rip and reader. But hey maybe next time we see another event which seems so entirely dependent on h5 phasing we'll be a fraction more confident.

Lets just hope SW bias isn't STILL going, or else people may wind up in garages for the opposite reason.

It's just not as sharp at 500...

It keeps doing different funky things. 12z strung the vorticity all out on the downstream side of the trough axis. The 18z has a more focused vort, but it's not that potent...the PAC NW s/w is weaker on the NAM. The globals are really diving that stronger energy into the trough and spawning rapid cyclogenesis off the coast. I think the NAM will come around.

Archived