• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December 19th-20 Storm Thread II

Baroclinic Zone

This run looks horrible...I still think this storm is going to miss NYC, and most of SNE, to the east...despite how much I love snow. There's just a weird feeling I have that this one isn't going to be a KU or even a MECS, but more of a grazing or out to sea solution.

I think you will get screwed, but I think I'll do great.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is this sht really still happening?

can someone give a rundown of models and what they showed today so we can see an overall standing of where we are? Broken down into

0Zs from last night

___

___

___

6z

___

___

___

12z

___

___

___

18z

___

___

___

etc? I think this would be good for a lot of us who haven't gotten to look much today

I.E. FINALS

can someone give a rundown of models and what they showed today so we can see an overall standing of where we are? Broken down into

0Zs from last night

___

___

___

6z

___

___

___

12z

___

___

___

18z

___

___

___

etc? I think this would be good for a lot of us who haven't gotten to look much today

I.E. FINALS

Where is the DNS when we need it.

0Zs from last night

___

___

___

6z

___

___

___

12z

___

___

___

18z

___

___

___

I.E. FINALS

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/ewall.html

Are we panicking over the 18z models?? :facepalm: LOL, C'mon. You got the euro and its ensembles out there. It may go a little east, but the gfs is 50 miles from killing eastern mass ORH-east.

I'm not panicked at all, but it is humorous that everything looked great the moment I could no longer log on, then once I could....things went the other way. :lol: :lol:

What did the 12z UKMET show, Will?

Did it miss both SNE and the NYC metro?

This storm looks a bit like February 25, 1989 to me...definitely a Niña analog.

Ukie showed a miss east initially...but it actually captured the storm late and retrograded it back SW and got eastern New England with decent precip at like 108-120 hours. The 18z GFS doesn't do that latter retrograde, but its initial development looks similar.

I think you will get screwed, but I think I'll do great.

I don't think this is really the type of storm that does that; it's more of a Miller A threat where the whole coastline will get hammered if the southern stream is sharp enough as the 12z ECM showed, and to some extent earlier runs of the GFS. I could see why you're thinking this because of the potential for a late capture/retrograde at 5H, but I think if the southern shortwave comes in flat, the system is already going to develop too far offshore to hit anyone seriously. I basically see this as an all or nothing situation with the only middle ground being a light grazing for the Cape/SE Mass.

Ukie showed a miss east initially...but it actually captured the storm late and retrograded it back SW and got eastern New England with decent precip at like 108-120 hours. The 18z GFS doesn't do that latter retrograde, but its initial development looks similar.

The 18z GFS also looks weaker with the CCB; the 12z GFS seemed to develop a much more coherent CCB with heavy precipitation, and its development occurred faster. The storm seems much more disorganized on both the 18z NAM and 18z GFS. Do you have any idea why, Will?

The 18z GFS also looks weaker with the CCB; the 12z GFS seemed to develop a much more coherent CCB with heavy precipitation, and its development occurred faster. The storm seems much more disorganized on both the 18z NAM and 18z GFS. Do you have any idea why, Will?

5H is much less amplified so the storm doesn't respond until the upper levels go nuts...so that's why it looks weaker initially, because the upper level support is weaker.

Still a long ways out, fact is, if 18z showed a hecs most would be estatic, but since it does not its somewhat dismissed, I really dont see the logic in that reasoning.

Its pretty hard to justify taking the 18z NCEP models over the Euro and its ensembles...I'd put a very little bit of stock in the 18z run, but only just a little bit.

GFS has flip flopped on every single run in a major way for days now. Every 6 hours is a dramatically different solution. ECM ensembles which include 51 members vs the GFS 12 (I think). Yet every 6 hours we had a dramatically different run (maybe except for 12/18 yesterday). GFS is unbelievable.

If the 18Z runs showed a HECS I would discount it, if the 18Z showed a miss I would discount it. Personally to me the 18Z NAM and GFS runs are garbage and have been for a long time. That is just my opinion :-)

I don't think the off hour runs are that bad..especially getting within 72 hrs of an event. Every run can give you a burp run from 72-96 hrs out. Nothing beats hard core sampling, but I don't think off hour runs are horrible within 3 days or so.

GFS has flip flopped on every single run in a major way for days now. Every 6 hours is a dramatically different solution. ECM ensembles which include 51 members vs the GFS 12 (I think). Yet every 6 hours we had a dramatically different run (maybe except for 12/18 yesterday). GFS is unbelievable.

I'd be pretty confident in saying the ensemble mean will look good as will the 00z OP run.

I don't think the off hour runs are that bad..especially getting within 72 hrs of an event. Every run can give you a burp run from 72-96 hrs out. Nothing beats hard core sampling, but I don't think off hour runs are horrible within 3 days or so.

However, if the model can't handle certain features right...well you could have large jumps. These runs are suspect to me.

Archived