Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
December 19th-20 Storm Thread II

Baroclinic Zone

While we obviously don't know the outcome...I will say this:

The euro may have had the wrong solution for a while, but you have to admire how consistent it is. The GFS is the king of waffles....I mean east-west-east-west..it's everywhere..lol. At least the euro may have been consistently wrong, but perhaps locks into the right idea and stays that way. So yes, maybe the GFS has the right idea, but it's so dam inconsistent sometimes. We'll know in 72 hrs.

Which is exactly why I went into my tirade against it last week. It offers no help in forecasting. It adds more confusion than it does help. We wipe our asses with stuff better than that model

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't you guys learned anything over the years? When a big snow event is close..the American models lose it about 3-4 days out...then as we get within about 2 days and less they latch back onto it..The Euro has it and won;t lose it.

I don't understand why people do this when the NAM and GFS suddenly lose a storm.

We are getting a huge storm, so the 18z runs must be off.

Which is exactly why I went into my tirade against it last week. It offers no help in forecasting. It adds more confusion than it does help. We wipe our asses with stuff better than that model

Well one should never forecast what a specific op run is saying 3-4+ days out. That's why we have ensembles and probability. It's usually fine during the time that I care about which is 24-36 hrs.

Well one should never forecast what a specific op run is saying 3-4+ days out. That's why we have ensembles and probability. It's usually fine during the time that I care about which is 24-36 hrs.

It almost seems like the GFS is following the EURO's trends....like it's a day or so behind it.

I love the confidence even with the disclaimer at the end...

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTHERN

CONNECTICUT...NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST NEW YORK.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPING OFF THE CAROLINA COAST BY SUNDAY MORNING WILL

MOVE NORTHEAST TO NEAR THE 40 DEGREE NORTH LATITUDE/70 DEGREE WEST

LONGITUDE BENCH MARK SUNDAY NIGHT...AND TRACK NEAR CAPE COD BY

LATE MONDAY.

BASED ON THIS TRACK...THERE IS INCREASED CONFIDENCE THAT THE TRI-

STATE COULD RECEIVE A SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL FROM LATE SATURDAY

NIGHT INTO MONDAY...WITH THE BEST CHANCE OF A SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL

FROM NEW YORK CITY ON EAST. IN ADDITION TO THE SNOWFALL...STRONG

GUSTY WINDS ARE ALSO LIKELY WITH THIS STORM.

THERE IS STILL SOME UNCERTAINTY ON THE TRACK AND STRENGTH OF THE

STORM...WITH THE POSSIBILITY EXISTING THAT FAR EASTERN AREAS COULD

END UP MIXING WITH RAIN...OR THAT THE STORM COULD HEAD FARTHER OUT

TO SEA...SPARING THE REGION THE BULK OF IT.

The GFS has 20. The EC has 50.

A little comparison of the EC ENS and GEFS...

EC ENS: T399 (~45km) from 0-240hr and 62 vertical levels

GEFS: T190 (~85km) and 28.

Op runs

EC: T1279 (~14km) and 91

GFS: T574 (~28km) and 64

http://www.capecodweather.net/weather-library/1336-get-to-know-the-weather-models

If u want more info.

JB FTW

Worst case would not only close the Massachusetts and Connecticut turnpikes, but the Jersey, too. That is on the table. And I think you are seeing why I don't flip and flop back and forth with model runs. In fact, until all the players get onto the field from the Plains east, this is not really a done deal, but last night's GFS was simply the model having phase problems. Once it caught on, and it will still correct west a bit more... it figured it out. It's a matter of different runs seeing things different ways. You, though, as a weather enthusiast or beyond, should be focused on the whys enough to understand that until tomorrow, model runs out to sea should not phase you, since it's a matter of phasing.

Harvey Leonard says hes 75% sure we get a biggie, I like those odds at this stage of the game.

Yes, channel 5 lead story was the storm. After seeing the 18Z runs I would definately not be so bullish. The models have been all over the place. I still don't have a good feeling about this storm. I will get totally invested if the American models come back west at 0Z and the Euro holds serve but I truely believe that the trend is our friend and both the NAM and GFS were went east. Best to do other things this evening and not think about this storm and then take a look at the 0Z runs.

The GFS is the king of waffles....I mean east-west-east-west..it's everywhere..lol. At least the euro may have been consistently wrong, but perhaps locks into the right idea and stays that way. So yes, maybe the GFS has the right idea, but it's so dam inconsistent sometimes.

It offers no help in forecasting. It adds more confusion than it does help.

LOL, GFS ensembles are like 200 miles east of 12z.

I cried when they shot old yeller but later on I realized it was for the best.

Archived