Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - late January 2013

MAG5035

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just took a walk across the PSU campus, looks like about 3" out there. Snowing moderate to heavy.

I'm just cracking over the 3" mark down here with heavy snow continuing to fall. It seems like the snow has improved in terms of ratios, as it has been accumulating more efficiently. It appears that with consistent precip continuing for a while yet and not really any signs of any kind of resurgence of mixing from the southwest, I think Altoona and State College are going to end up all or mostly snow with this event. Could end up being a 4-6 incher. 

Heading to bed, gotta be up in a few hours. Precip has lightened up considerably for the time being but looks like some more heavier stuff is going to move back in. Probably saw the heaviest snow for this event in that last hour. Most importantly, with the letup in precip rates I'm still all snow with no sleet or zr mixture noted. 3.5" on the ground. 

About five inches on the ground here in State College; p-type has remained all snow, and it is snowing at a high-end light rate attm.  

Save possibly for a photo of Old Main or Beaver Stadium, I do not know what screams Penn State more than this photo taken around 3:45 AM:

attachicon.gif002.JPG

Great picture.  Measured 3.8" in Bellefonte this morning. Nice event.

About 0.8" of a mix of everything here. The pure snow only lasted about 45 minutes and delivered about 0.5" of snow before it switched back over to sleet/snow mix before 1:00am. I can see a light glaze of ice over everything this morning so there was definitely some freezing rain during the night. Temp dropped to 31.6 degrees then slowly crept back up to 32.0. NWS called it perfectly for my area with their forecast up of to an inch of slop. At least everything is coated in white again.

About 0.8" of a mix of everything here. The pure snow only lasted about 45 minutes and delivered about 0.5" of snow before it switched back over to sleet/snow mix before 1:00am. I can see a light glaze of ice over everything this morning so there was definitely some freezing rain during the night. Temp dropped to 31.6 degrees then slowly crept back up to 32.0. NWS called it perfectly for my area with their forecast up of to an inch of slop. At least everything is coated in white again.

yes sir, i think they did a good job with this! Its noy warming up real quick either today is it.

yes sir, i think they did a good job with this! Its noy warming up real quick either today is it.

As of 12:18pm I'm still locked in at 32.5 degrees. I'm sure it will probably rise further before the day is over, however, I'm presently working on a 0.9 degree diurnal range for today. I think my smallest diurnal I have ever recorded is about 1.5 degrees many winters ago when we were fogged in with snowpack for over 24 hours and the temp didn't budge. I'll let you know tonight what the final range for today turned out to be.

You guys are quietly racking up a half-decent season out there. I miss the snowy walks through campus during an event like this. Nice!!

Yeah, we actually are. 

We are currently at 19.3 as of midnight, not counting whatever fell after that. Last year we totaled 19.0 for the whole season. 

Halfing our January average (prolly a bs way to do it but not sure how else), we should be at 16.6 for the season right now. So, about 115% of normal. Not too shabby, really. Looks somewhat active going forward. 

Archived