Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - late January 2013

MAG5035

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, I'm at 32 but yeah. Seems to be mostly sleet now. I'm doubting we see 1" pure snow. Ping, ping, ping!

Judging by the radar, I wouldn't be surprised if some flakes worked their way into Harrisburg proper. I've noticed the snow/mix line has been making a push down 322 towards you. 

Judging by the radar, I wouldn't be surprised if some flakes worked their way into Harrisburg proper. I've noticed the snow/mix line has been making a push down 322 towards you. 

Rain / Sleet mix continues with a greater percentage of rain having mixed in after it had been almost 100% sleet which had accumulated 0.2" worth. Temp continues to drop, now down to 32.2 degrees with dew point 31.1...so evap processes are over with. Just need to drop off a few more tenths to turn to ZR. Hope the snow makes its way south towards us. I'm losing the earlier "gut" feeling...lol....about getting over an inch of snow. I'll be happy if we make it to an inch by morning. Should be an interesting overnight period.

Regardless, it's looking like maybe another surprise opportunity by the end of this week with that southern system pulling a bit further north? Then who knows what the arctic air will bring in with it next week?

Just had a look at some of the Johnstown cams, and after a while of them looking like they were experiencing either zr or sleet, i can see big fluffy flakes. Any input?

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=sew&sid=kjst&num=60&banner=on

They're reporting snow again. ^_^

And Altoona has stayed all snow, too. State College won't even have a shot at changing over from snow until KJST and then KAOO do first, so not anytime soon.

And Altoona has stayed all snow, too. State College won't even have a shot at changing over from snow until KJST and then KAOO do first, so not anytime soon.

Unlikely for them too in the near term, the 850 has gone on freeze for a bit. Additionally, cold air is working its way SE as MAG said, so some places could be surprised by snow. Ole' Easternuswx is starting to mix in snow in Shippensburg.

Unlikely for them too in the near term, the 850 has gone on freeze for a bit. Additionally, cold air is working its way SE as MAG said, so some places could be surprised by snow. Ole' Easternuswx is starting to mix in snow in Shippensburg.

Dual pol radar has been working very well with this event with regard to watching the progression of the mix line. Eastern's right on that line according to it currently (assuming hes in Shippensburg). Looks like Canderson and the other Hburg folks might be getting flakes now. 

Dual pol radar has been working very well with this event with regard to watching the progression of the mix line. Eastern's right on that line according to it currently (assuming hes in Shippensburg). Looks like Canderson and the other Hburg folks might be getting flakes now. 

Yes it has, and yeah he's right around the University. The mix line continues to press SE with the cold air leaking on in. Dual Pol nailing it. 

Yea, the reason I ask for some on the ground input is because it has seemed like the mixing signal on radar has been weakening a bit in that particular area, which is a good thing for us further northeast if snow is trying to take back over up in that part of the Laurels. I've not experienced any mixing issues since we started off sleeting. It's trying to work on 2 inches here (I'm about 8 miles north of Altoona close to I-99). I do think the warm air aloft is doing enough to compensate snow ratios a bit. 

WOW! Mag, you're amazing! You were right. Here I was thinking it was still sleeting and raining outside until I approached my deck and saw all white! I've gone over to 100% snow with nice big flakes and a coating everywhere already. Now I'm excited again. Maybe I'll hit or break 1" by morning. Thanks for the encouraging words. At least I can confirm all snow 20 miles northeast of Ship / Eastern. Temp holding at 32.2. Off to bed now....we'll see what surprise awaits me in the morning. Nite all.

Yea, the reason I ask for some on the ground input is because it has seemed like the mixing signal on radar has been weakening a bit in that particular area, which is a good thing for us further northeast if snow is trying to take back over up in that part of the Laurels. I've not experienced any mixing issues since we started off sleeting. It's trying to work on 2 inches here (I'm about 8 miles north of Altoona close to I-99). I do think the warm air aloft is doing enough to compensate snow ratios a bit. 

After looking at the Johnstown camera's again my guess is that it is all snow over the entire vicinity. I think some of those cameras suffer from lack of lighting over the camera itself. The Expressway interchange camera must be attached to one of those giant poles..

After looking at the Johnstown camera's again my guess is that it is all snow over the entire vicinity. I think some of those cameras suffer from lack of lighting over the camera itself. The Expressway interchange camera must be attached to one of those giant poles..

Ebensburg was another one I was watching, the Candlelight intersection in particular.. because you can see the flakes easily in the lights. There was no flakes visible for a while on that cam but now you can see the snow in the lights again and the wet road is starting to get slushy (was.. road looks treated again). I've noticed a near collapse in the mixing signal (via correlation coefficient product) in Cambria and northern Somerset, where the radar beam is at about the 850mb level near JST. 

Ebensburg was another one I was watching, the Candlelight intersection in particular.. because you can see the flakes easily in the lights. There was no flakes visible for a while on that cam but now you can see the snow in the lights again and the wet road is starting to get slushy (was.. road looks treated again). I've noticed a near collapse in the mixing signal (via correlation coefficient product) in Cambria and northern Somerset, where the radar beam is at about the 850mb level near JST. 

I have always been amazed at how interesting CAD is. When I left home to drive back to PSU on Sunday Night it was 54. Then when I reached Altoona it was 45 and some fog.and finally I hit the wall of fog in State College. I am curious if Cambria and Somerset will get as much as ice as CTP seems to think. Usually Northern Cambria escapes getting too much freezing rain. I can remember many times when Ebensburg and Carrolltown would loose power due to alot of ice accumulation. We usually would get some ice before switching to rain or stayed all rain.    

Archived