joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - late January 2013

MAG5035

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean 0.4" of liquid for MDT....up to 4" of snow?

Yea that was liquid. Thermally though temps were very marginal so while it may be all snow.. there would need to be decent rates to get it accumulating. Precip that's too light may even be in the form of light rain in that neck of the woods. Still watching for a potential swath of snow Tuesday night, SREFs have crept north with their probs, now actually focusing more above Harrisburg into NE PA and on into SNE. Thinking a general 1-2 inches if this swath comes to fruition. 

Yea that was liquid. Thermally though temps were very marginal so while it may be all snow.. there would need to be decent rates to get it accumulating. Precip that's too light may even be in the form of light rain in that neck of the woods. Still watching for a potential swath of snow Tuesday night, SREFs have crept north with their probs, now actually focusing more above Harrisburg into NE PA and on into SNE. Thinking a general 1-2 inches if this swath comes to fruition. 

Thanks Mag.  Maybe we get the ground white again, although it doesn't look like we would hold onto it until the arctic blast comes next week.  Here's hoping.

NAM and GFS seem to be leaning toward 1-2 here. 

Well, I'm expecting blizzard condtions tomorrow night with my mini-snowstorm now forecasted for me in my NWS point-and-click:

Rain and snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 32. Calm wind. Winds could gust as high as 47 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :snowing:

Well, I'm expecting blizzard condtions tomorrow night with my mini-snowstorm now forecasted for me in my NWS point-and-click:

Rain and snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 32. Calm wind. Winds could gust as high as 47 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :snowing:

Haha you should see the CTP snow map... heavy heavy snow for all.

post-1507-0-48584600-1358203213_thumb.pn

I dunno what's up with that, def an error though

I guess that's why they feel the need to include "experimental graphic."

NAM saying roughly 3.5" at KMDT due to lower temperatures, GFS says GTFO snow, 40 and rain.

Yea 18z GFS is pretty warm and gets decent precip into most of C-PA. Should note the 12z Euro looked closer to the NAM thermally and would probably relegate any potential ptype issues to the further southeast sections. This event has come back pretty nicely, as I figured it would a few days ago when it went from a bigger event for everyone to squashed way south for a time. There's a fine line though, if this thing trends much further north it could end up being only a north-central and northeastern PA deal. 

Dang 50+ dbz echoes over McConnellsburg. Big time bright banding. 

I'm right under those 50 dbz's right now with moderate sleet and increasing amounts of humongous wet snowflakes mixing in.  Looks nice to see some frozen precip here once again.  Temp down to 37.9.  Usually the transition to mostly snow from liquid occurs right around 37.0 degrees.  Maybe we'll get a tiny accumulation but it will probably melt by morning with above freezing temps.

Euro text looks like a general .3-.5" for most of us. Checked into AOO, FIG, UNV, JST, MDT, IPT, AVP, and LNS. The more southern stations saw the best QPF. The only two stations that might have thermal issues is MDT and LNS. MDT stays just barely good enough for snow and LNS is tenths of a degree above freezing at the surface and 850mb. 

Models have seemed to get a bit wetter the last few runs and this is starting to look like more of a 2-4 inch event for the folks that match up best QPF with the most favorable temps. Right now I'm thinking axis of heaviest snowfall in the form of said 2-4 inches roughly looks to run from Johnstown to State College to Scranton. The best area for the high end of 4" or even a couple random 5" totals probably resides between I-80 and the turnpike/I-78 corridor once east of Harrisburg.

In another words, a classic MDT-LNS-York screwjob? :) State College should do very well, up through Hazleton to Scranton.

Edit: CTP is less-than-thrilled with this being anything here.

• Tonight Rain before 4am, then rain, snow, and sleet. Low around 33. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
  • Wednesday Snow and sleet, possibly mixed with rain, becoming all rain after 7am, then gradually ending. High near 39. Calm wind becoming west 5 to 8 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Euro text looks like a general .3-.5" for most of us. Checked into AOO, FIG, UNV, JST, MDT, IPT, AVP, and LNS. The more southern stations saw the best QPF. The only two stations that might have thermal issues is MDT and LNS. MDT stays just barely good enough for snow and LNS is tenths of a degree above freezing at the surface and 850mb. 

Models have seemed to get a bit wetter the last few runs and this is starting to look like more of a 2-4 inch event for the folks that match up best QPF with the most favorable temps. Right now I'm thinking axis of heaviest snowfall in the form of said 2-4 inches roughly looks to run from Johnstown to State College to Scranton. The best area for the high end of 4" or even a couple random 5" totals probably resides between I-80 and the turnpike/I-78 corridor once east of Harrisburg.

NWS seems to be looking for more mixing, accuweather all snow here. Going to be a tough forecast. 

NWS seems to be looking for more mixing, accuweather all snow here. Going to be a tough forecast. 

I was somewhat encouraged by this part of the AFD: 

THE PRECIP THUS FARIN THE WINTER HAS BEEN MORE-SNOWY THAN SLEET OR FZRA. THIS EVENTMAY BE THE SAME WITH DRY AIR BELOW THE CLOUDS AT FIRST WHICH WILLALLOW FOR GOOD EVAP COOLING...AND THE PRECIP SHOULD BE MAINLYOVERNIGHT.

I'm not too concerned about mixing up here, Gettysburg-York-Lancaster and points south will likely be messy though.

Archived