joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - late January 2013

MAG5035

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, it would be nice to see a little more collaboration between NWS stations. CTP has southern york county under a WWA, LWX has nothing but a short term forecast mentioning nothing but rain for the area immediately south in northern maryland.

I know, I'm nitpicking. I commute into another office's zone, suck it up and drive on, right?

Yea I was about ready to make a quick update to my post. Something along the same lines down here,.. like a real fine sleet with snow grains mixed in. 

I'm assuming we'll go over to mainly snow when we cool off a bit...by the way looks like some bright banding extending from around State College to the SW.

More snow mixing in, about half/half now

Back over to snow here as well. Watching the radar has been pretty interesting. Looking at the various tilts bright banding has seemed to be occurring rather low at roughly 2000-3000ft (approx 925-900mb) , but the signal is starting to fade in the SC area. Likely as the precip cools down what apparently had been a somewhat warm spot in the column. Sparing all the details, I"ll also mention that supporting this observation is Correlation coefficient values that were indicating mixing have transformed into being more indicative of a uniform size of hydrometeors in and around State College as well. 

Here's the transformation in imagery:

CCX image at 940pm 

post-1507-0-66853800-1358307261_thumb.pn

Notice the area of lower CC values over State College (indicating mixing) and also the primary mix line further southeast.

Image at 10:27pm

post-1507-0-73692500-1358307299_thumb.pn

Now you can see that State College is completely encompassed in the bright white (near 100%) indicating a uniform precip type (snow) as well as the mixing once again showing up nicely further southeast towards the turnpike. 

Archived