joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - late January 2013

MAG5035

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya, I'm not exactly sure why the NWS is concerned about mixing up here in State College. Sure many of the SREFs show it, but the SREFs suck at details like that. The 06z hi-res NAM and Euro both easily keep all of it snow (the NAM might show a brief transition at the very end, but by then pretty much all of the precip has already fallen). Though having just looked at the operational 12z NAM, it does appear warmer for the second-half of the event. Still showing 850s below zero the entire time. Will wait to see what the 12z hi-res NAM shows.

EDIT: Hmm, I see where the issue is now. After 12z, the NAM sounding shows a warm layer above 850mb.

Cloud cover is keeping our temperatures in State College well under what was forecast. As of 1pm, we are at 30 whereas the NWS had us at 35. Any areas cooler than modeled/forecast may see more frozen/freezing precipitation than is currently expected. 

I think we were to be 39, and i have 35

I was somewhat encouraged by this part of the AFD:

THE PRECIP THUS FARIN THE WINTER HAS BEEN MORE-SNOWY THAN SLEET OR FZRA. THIS EVENTMAY BE THE SAME WITH DRY AIR BELOW THE CLOUDS AT FIRST WHICH WILLALLOW FOR GOOD EVAP COOLING...AND THE PRECIP SHOULD BE MAINLYOVERNIGHT.

I'm not too concerned about mixing up here, Gettysburg-York-Lancaster and points south will likely be messy though.

That is a bit of an interesting observation. Not like there's any kind of hard evidence to support this but it does always seem each winter has it's own trends with things. The 07-08 and 08-09 winters were loaded with storms that always had mixing issues for everybody. The last couple winters have been more cut and dry with one type or the other... obviously with last winter being pretty ugly with alot of rain events and elevational snow. However it was about this time last year we had our only half decent storm of the season (not including our out of season freak snowstorms) and despite a forecast of mixing for alot of central PA.. it stayed all or mostly snow.

For this event, I do think the mixing is a bit overplayed IMO. Especially with the prospect of heavier QPF looking pretty likely. A bit of evap cooling and steady rates should keep alot of us snow for most of the duration. I think any meaningful freezing rain stays at or under the turnpike, and sleet ends up being the more predominant mixed precip. Still like the call i laid out last night with 2-4 axis running roughly JST-UNV-AVP and some isolated 5" amounts. Should be an interesting event to watch evolve this evening.

Thanks for everyone who has been keeping us updated on this storm!! Not posting much, but reading.

Mag thanks for all the informational posts!!

39 here today for the high. Still a little snow on the ground here.

Even over the weekend the temps stayed below what they was forecasting..

Would be happy happy happy if we would pick up 3" from this system.

One question.....is the system a little slower than what they was predicting?

Edit: sorry for the pic. I have trouble posting mobile.

90% rain with occasional pingers mixed in here in Shippensburg Cumberland County

I'm the opposite here.....it's sleeting moderately with about 90% sleet and 10% rain.  Temp 35 with dew point of 25 should get us down close to 32 by the time evaporational cooling runs out.  My own "gut" feeling for right here in this area is that we see more snow than is presently forecasted....ie, more than 1" total.  Especially if during the heaviest precip rates overnight it's all or mostly all snow.  We'll see.

I'm the opposite here.....it's sleeting moderately with about 90% sleet and 10% rain.  Temp 35 with dew point of 25 should get us down close to 32 by the time evaporational cooling runs out.  My own "gut" feeling for right here in this area is that we see more snow than is presently forecasted....ie, more than 1" total.  Especially if during the heaviest precip rates overnight it's all or mostly all snow.  We'll see.

My thoughts as well... have a coating of sleet on deck, shed roof, and a few other colder surfaces but nothing in driveway yet... just wet

Archived