• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
**BANTER THREAD** Rolling into active period...wintry potential increasing, so are toaster sales

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dendrite et al. I've had some thoughts on the forum for awhile and I'm going to post them again in consolidated form. It's frustrating to read the continued conflicts within the region and in turn drawing in other regions members.

There are rules many of the other subforums follow that we don't, if they were followed many of the conflicts would be avoided within the region and within other regions. The moderation is often delayed to the point that the ruckus has settled before anything is done. I think the active regions need more moderators. Moderators that keep us within the rules without really any exception. The banter thread can be the free for all, the model threads should be clear of much banter, baiting, bump trolling and everything else. I appreciate the job everyone does, but a suggestion would be to have moderators perhaps from out of region/circles of friends as well. Looking at who's reading the threads it's quite often that there are many members from outside the core group. Or better yet have members on a monthly or bimonthly basis that act as temporary, untagged moderators.

I think closer adherence to rules about unsupported forecasts/predictions/maps would really help, as would the other things I mentioned in terms of bump trolling, baiting etc. It's easy enough to pull a quote from one thread into the banter thread if one so desired. JMHO I think many members would welcome it, particularly some of the quieter posters. I think the overall volume of the model/discussion threads would be significantly lower if the back and forth jabs were moved or eliminated, and I think we'd see more pros.

The argument is always made against increased moderation. I don't think it's working to be honest. Recent dustups and misunderstandings between hobbyists and pros, among hobbyists, and sometimes even amongst pros tells me that it's probably time for some changes. JMHO. One we all take part in, I know I need to do my part too.

• No personal attacks/OT arguing
  • Try to stay on topic
  • Attack the idea, not the poster
  • Spell out your forecast/thinking/opposing viewpoint clearly

I would mod if they asked me.

Board collapses from boredom...

(un)happy medium

Met only threads aren't a good idea. Maintaining civility in threads pros post on is a good idea.

Birving there's been a push out of region for awhile now which is why we have subforums. We don't need to have banter in OT, but banter and jokes in forecast discussion threads particularly when things break warm/bad ends in trouble. People should be able to post in model discussion threads regardless of the modeled and eventual outcome.

Powderfreak, litchfield, taking shots about departures and upslope, my joking with sultan about analogs...should have been in banter. Some people have missed what went on this past week I think that had nothing to do with me. I'm just as guilty, ill clean it up and if I don't I should get the boot and so should anyone else that doesn't play by the rules dendrite and others put out regardless of who we are friends with etc.

And I do think we need more mods. We already have a volunteer. It's an awful lot to monitor among the existing group.

Met only threads aren't a good idea. Maintaining civility in threads pros post on is a good idea.

Birving there's been a push out of region for awhile now which is why we have subforums. We don't need to have banter in OT, but banter and jokes in forecast discussion threads particularly when things break warm/bad ends in trouble. People should be able to post in model discussion threads regardless of the modeled and eventual outcome.

Powderfreak, litchfield, taking shots about departures and upslope, my joking with sultan about analogs...should have been in banter. Some people have missed what went on this past week I think that had nothing to do with me. I'm just as guilty, ill clean it up and if I don't I should get the boot and so should anyone else that doesn't play by the rules dendrite and others put out regardless of who we are friends with etc.

And I do think we need more mods. We already have a volunteer. It's an awful lot to monitor among the existing group.

too many mods with overreaching "power"..if someone doesnt like a post, anyone should have the ability to flag and self-moderate content. fair and equal. the clique nonsense is grating.

Sorry to hear that, Jay--hopefully it's not the flu and you recoup quickly!

I spent time with Emily yesterday--I can't believe you guys are 3/8 of the way done your college careers!

Appreciate it, and time flies!

I can't express how much better it is to be in New England any time of the year.

Hope you get well soon Jay.

This idiot would have been 5 ppd years ago

Thanks Dave!!!

P.S. Merry Xmas from Don Sutherland

Quick thoughts...

On 12/15, some ensemble members had begun to hint that the PNA, which has now been negative for 46 consecutive days, could go positive near the end of December. Historical cases related to long-lived PNA-regimes also suggested that such guidance might have some merit. Today, there is developing consensus that the PNA is likely to go positive toward the end of the month or near the beginning of January.

The AO, which has again fallen below -3 is likely to remain negative through the extended period consistent with a number of long-lived blocking regimes, including those of winters 2009-10 and 2010-11.

With the blizzard departing the Great Lakes region after having brought more than 15" snow to Madison and Chicago its first measurable snowfall since March 4, 2012, along with a surge of warmth and moderate-to-heavy rain in the East, the final pieces of a pattern change to generally colder than normal weather across much of the U.S. and southern Canada are now falling into place.

As the colder pattern unfolds, the active subtropical jet suggests that storminess could coincide with the cold. Hence, opportunities for at least some accumulation of snow appear likely.

Finally, once the PNA goes neutral and then probably positive, the risk of an Arctic outbreak could increase. The potential exists that sometime during the next 2-3 weeks, Albany could see its first subzero temperature since February 11, 2011 when the mercury fell to -5° and New York City could see its first single-digit reading since January 24, 2011 when the temperature fell to 6°.

See the weather gods waited till Christmas eve day to bring you all you New Englanders your present. Mood snow for Christmas morning, solid snowstorm for most a day or two later and the lastest Euro gives us another treat over the weekend.

Merry Christmas to all from those of us up north.

Gene

Archived