• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Hurricane Sandy OBS (Part ii)

Alpha5

Does anyone have a realistic figure on how much this disaster is going to cost? I loved all the initial reports, Tuesday morning saying it would be about 10-25 billion.. I laughed then and am laughing even harder at those silly numbers.

I said (and you can look back to tuesday's posts in this thread) that this disaster could cost as much as 500 bilion.. I'm sticking to that number.. The stories I am hearing about, and reading about are just incredible.. With the real estate values being what they were up and down the coast in NJ/NY area the cost of this disaster is going to be astronomical.. It's just sick!

500 Billion? Is that including lost productivity? If not, then you are likely a bit high. I work in the industry and agree that the initial figures were ridiculously low, but 500 billion is 5x worse than Katrina if we are talking about property damage.

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hudson County power status: http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/db_102372/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=V4XBN5Sr&full=true#display

Almost the entire city of Bayonne is out, 46% of Jersey City (apparently Country Village was 'devastated', just a few blocks from my house... not sure what exactly that means?), Hoboken without power, 2/3 of North Bergen without power, 1/3 of Kearny without power, 65% of Union City without power, 40% of Weehawken.....

PSE&G's outage map for Union county has barely moved. Still 5 towns in the >10,000 customers out. And this is all from just wind damage as we had no flooding issues like Hudson county and the shore areas.

I did see several crews working on tree removal this morning so I'm hopefully we'll get power back by Monday but I'm being overly optimistic at this point.

Hudson County power status: http://mobile.nj.com...ll=true#display

Almost the entire city of Bayonne is out, 46% of Jersey City (apparently Country Village was 'devastated', just a few blocks from my house... not sure what exactly that means?), Hoboken without power, 2/3 of North Bergen without power, 1/3 of Kearny without power, 65% of Union City without power, 40% of Weehawken.....

500 Billion? Is that including lost productivity? If not, then you are likely a bit high. I work in the industry and agree that the initial figures were ridiculously low, but 500 billion is 5x worse than Katrina if we are talking about property damage.

I agree, perhaps 500 billion is kinda ridiculous.. But in all likeihood this will be America's costliest disaster.. I don't see how it doesn't exceed Katrina..

Damage wise, Sandy was mostly a surge event, Wind damage is mostly from siding/minor roof damage and trees falling onto structures. doesnt seem to be much relatively speaking outside of coastal CT/RI, NYC metro, NJ, Eastern PA..These were only areas winds gusted close to over hurricane force. Of course those areas are heavily populated, so greater impact then say the LA coast with Issac.Remember half the damage from Katrina was from wind. People tend to forget that.

Surge damage is immense obviously, might not have the surge/storm tide height of other hurricanes, i.e. Ike, but the location makes it much worse than Ike. Virtually the entire area impacted is densely populated with large area of coastline effected.

Finally got my power back late last night! Very greatful for that! The heat never felt so good!! I'm even back in work today. Let's hope everyone else without power gets it back real soon before it really gets cold around here. Tensions starting to escalate, especially at the gas pumps where lines are long as there are very few open and at supermarkets where most of them don't have power yet and are only selling non-perishable items. However our mayor advised us yesterday that JCP&L expects to have power restored to the Rt 9 corridor in my part of Monmouth County by tonight. As I type this, I'm hearing more and more people are starting to get their power back in Monmouth County and Ocean County. Great news. I guess all those crews coming from all over the country are starting to pay off. It was weird seeing utility crews from Missouri on my way into work this morning. Glad to have them as we need all the help we can get here in Central Jersey. Good luck to all.

CITY OF LONG BEACH RECOVERY UPDATE - NOVEMBER 2, 2012

Long Beach's recovery continues. 72 hours after the storm - roads are open, sanitation services are restored, & help has arrived. Our critical priorities are the 24/7 effort to restore water & sewer, as soon as possible. We continue to receive extraordinary assistance, resources, & personnel.

FEMA

Representatives are assessing the area & ensuring occupant safety

Residents can file claims at fema.gov or Nassau Community College

You can contact the NCC FEMA representatives at 770-216-3335 or 1-800-621-336

Water & Sewer

Hydrant flushing has begun; water could be back on early next week.

Do NOT turn on your faucet or hose; you will slow the restoration process.

Do NOT pump if you just have ground water; you will waste your gas

Power

LIPA is working around the clock to restore power; they are nearing completion of the assessment and are in constant contact with the City

Public Safety

Strict curfew remains in effect from 7pm to 6am to protect resident safety.

Using an auxiliary heater that uses kerosene or propane carries the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if directions are not followed; they must be vented

Food & Water Distribution

Emergency Meals & Water are available at East & West School daily beginning at 8am

Sanitation

The City's regular sanitation schedule has been restored for bagged garbage.

Debris pickup is 7 days a week

Damage Assessment

Building inspectors will be visiting EVERY home in the City.

Each home will be graded either Green, Yellow, or Red.

Green = Home is OK

Yellow = Home damaged & LIPA will require electrical work before power can be restored

Red = Home is condemned due to substantial damage

Medical Services

Two temporary hospitals are on their way; sites are yet to be determined.

We have 12 to 24 ambulances on site daily.

PLEASE SHARE THIS INFORMATION WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS

FROM SUFFOLK COUNTY..

Gas supply was disrupted in the aftermath of the storm. The state and federal government have worked diligently to restore infrastructure and gas supplies should return to normal levels shortly.

The County has ordered gas station owners to limit customers to fill just one tank of gas per visit and for those customers without power, up to an additional 10 gallons of gas permitted per visit until further notice.

Police officers have been dispatched to gas stations to post signs regarding the order.

The County is advising residents to conserve gas throughout the weekend by staying home or remaining local.

The County has restricted gas use at County facilities to only essential services and personnel.

Thank you for your cooperation.

From the few that do have power in Hoboken: those power strips people put out are getting a lot of use, and the liquor stores are open to those with cash... Drunk people passing out on stoops while their phones charge. Not sure how good of an idea it is to be selling booze at this stage, but I guess people are trying to make money.

Yes and he tried to cover after the storm saying "It was as bad as we said it would be from the beginning"

well he told people to take in a Broadway show when the blizzard of 2010 hit...what's so bad about postponing the marathon a week or so?...They have generators in Central Park just for the marathon that could be used for other things...Like saving lives...

http://livewire.talk...orm-sandys-toll

Not only continuing the marathon but having huge generators is an embarrassment while there are people on CNN crying and begging for help on national television.

Unless I am missing something, I can't see why you don't put the people of your city first. Giuliani wouldn't have put up with that.

Is anyone getting to those Staten Island people yet? I am about to drive up there myself at this point.

Staten Island was being ignored but the last day and a half, there is a massive relief setup there after CNN exposed the horror there.

Staten Island is now the ground zero of this storm with 21 people found dead and many more missing.

Regarding the Marathon, Bloomberg is so conceeded and selfish, that he will keep the marathon on just because he fells like he is extra powerful.

He is a complete tool and needs to be exposed more on national media.

The guy is acting like he knew it would be this bad and warned about it. The day before the ****ing storm this moron was saying that everything will be fine and Monday wuld be a normal work day.

Archived