• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Hurricane Sandy OBS (Part ii)

Alpha5

There is no way a storm that was inland since making landfall in NC was that strong in Jersey and NYC. Also, I'm going to call bs on the 29 ft.

Brian Bossack's dissertation lists it as a TS at NJ/NY landfall. Other sources are stronger. My guess is that it was probably a Category 1 hurricane when it made landfall near NYC.

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Patrick

Good idea on the thread....been without power here in Clifton nj...have twin 18 month olds...can't risk heading out with them in the van. Would be happy to help anyone in anyway that we can. All we need is our babies clothes washed and dried. Looking at the devastating impacts in the rest of the area, our family needs are minor and silly. But still, with aother coastal storm looming next week, i know power will not be restored here by then. I believe my neighborhood was affected by one of the flooded substations..besides that, many if the poles are twisted, charred, and in some cases the downed trees were ignited by the wires, and there are entire blocks around schools and parks that haven't been touched yet by pseg. I know they are doing their part. We are cold, but our kids are safer at homr right now than out in the car around here. Can't believe the arcing i saw Monday night..and my anemometer caught a 91 mph wind gust before disappearing.

Jake, if your family needs help let me know. Dont have gas or batteries to offer lol, but if anyone needs a hand, maybe we should start a thread? Some of us that are only dealing w minor damage can lend a hand for a few hours.

Hey guys, this was just posted in the SNE forum. Take advantage or pass it on.

snapback.pngj24vt, on 2 November 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

Sandy Relief Complimentary Rooms: Our New England family owned and operated resort is reaching out to East Coasters in need, with open arms and complimentary resort rooms. For those looking for a break from Hurricane Sandy, we are offering up to seven complimentary nights now through November 20, 2012. The offer is intended for those in the federally declared disaster areas and only applies to new reservations. Space available. For reservations call 1.800.253.2232.

Source: https://www.facebook...m/#!/Stoweflake

I agree with that, but at least he could have done that on Sunday after Zone A was issued on Saturday, so you have an orderly evacuation & not a mass exodus. Not that many would have listened anyway, but I agree with you.

I also agree with this. I think the decision not to evacuate Zone B was myopic, particularly since it had been pretty clear that the surge potential with this storm was much higher than your typical cat 1, and the surface pressure much lower (not to mention the angle of approach). This is where disaster planning basis S-S hurricane scale falls short in my opinion. I think if nothing else, the decision to evacuate Zone B may have made some Zone A residents think twice about staying.

This new video features the destruction in Long Beach West End section of town. This part of LB has
very low elevations relative to MSL compared to other parts of the barrier island. Some other very
low lying parts of LB are the Canals and neighborhoods along the bay.

Does anyone have a realistic figure on how much this disaster is going to cost? I loved all the initial reports, Tuesday morning saying it would be about 10-25 billion.. I laughed then and am laughing even harder at those silly numbers.

I said (and you can look back to tuesday's posts in this thread) that this disaster could cost as much as 500 bilion.. I'm sticking to that number.. The stories I am hearing about, and reading about are just incredible.. With the real estate values being what they were up and down the coast in NJ/NY area the cost of this disaster is going to be astronomical.. It's just sick!

Archived