Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS (Part ii)

Alpha5

Me neither, no power yet.

Anyone who says power is coming back on slowly is dreaming.

This morning 77% of nassau was in the dark, now its 75%, at this rate power wont be back until December.

And again, the mayor is to blame for those deaths, downplaying the storm and nto calling for evacuations when everyone else knew it was a serious threat. Why nobody is calling for his resignation is perplexing...i mean im angry, why isnt anyone else doing anything about this clown?

Many have reason to be angry:

(skip to 4:50)

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we all know how destructive a Cat 1 hurricane can be for this area; I do not want to see a Cat 2-3 hurricane in this area because it would be like this only 10-20 times worse.

I disagree.

A strong cat 3 hurricane would be destructive to the area close to center. Not over a very wide area.

Sandy was destructive because of its enormous size.

The only thing that would have been worse for our area than what resulted with Sandy was if we somehow had a category 2 + hybrid that hit the same spot. But a more organized tropical system might not really have been able to become the enormous hybrid that it became. So it's really hard for me to imagine any worse of a scenario.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing from him during that. Still can't.

just utter disregard and stubborn behavior i suppose. we as a weather fourm knew what we were looking at in terms of widespread damage and when i heard that press conference i gave probably the biggest facepalm as far as a weather blunder goes. i dont know who his meteorlogical team was but they should all be lambasted for this blunder. and zones A and B shouldve been evacuated not just zone A. there were plenty of mistakes made in the storm but to me bloomberg being behind the whole time is the glaring mistake IMO

The only thing that would have been worse for NYC than what resulted with Sandy was if we somehow had a category 2 + hybrid that hit the same spot. But a more organized tropical system might not really have been able to become the enormous hybrid that it became. So it's really hard for me to imagine any worse of a scenario.

yea ll things considered this storm in some facets really did do damage more indicative of a stronger hurricane/hybrid IMO. i dont think a typical cat 1 storm even during the lunar cycles/tide cycle we had couldve done this much damage. i mean some of the pictures seen really do look like some of the after shots of landfalling major hurricanes

Last year with Irene we had patrol cars telling us to evacuate...This year there was no such warning...The water didn't come close to my block...I'm about 35ft above sea level near the Arthur Kill...That water way flooded also...If my house flooded it would have to be from a sunami...

Last year with Irene we had patrol cars telling us to evacuate...This year there was no such warning...The water didn't come close to my block...I'm about 35ft above sea level near the Arthur Kill...That water way flooded also...If my house flooded it would have to be from a sunami...

tsunami not sunami lmaosmiley.gif . i get what your saying though

Anthony if you're in the Eltingville area and you have the means to do so, pass by Wiman Avenue by the water off Hylan Blvd. We have family friends there at the end of the street where it's only feet from the water and we can't get in touch with them. I have a bad feeling their home didn't make it.

I work a corporate call center, and we have a fairly large customer base on Staten Island and the Jersey Shore. Some of the calls I have been getting have been breaking my heard.

I had a guy call today from Staten Island...an older guy, who told me he got lucky, and only had 4 feet of water in his basement. He said he is lucky because a couple blocks away from him, there are homes that are just gone.

NOw, I know how these things work, but what he told me scared me to death. He told me that those "missing" and "unaccounted for" numbers are not really being released because there was huge loss of life on Staten Island. Now, again, I know these are usually exagerations and rumors, but he said they have pulled over 200 bodies from wreckage and are identifying them before numbers are released.

I just hope to god that this is not true....

Archived