joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS (Part ii)

Alpha5

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Con Ed seems to be doing a great job so far, at least in my area.

Yes, they are doing a great job. I drove to Marine Park in Brooklyn yesterday with my wife and son to check on the inlaws who had no power. Plenty of trick of treaters so my son joined in and had fun. It added to the feel of Halloween when it got dark sitting inside with candles and flashlights.

Driving home most areas had power from what I could see from the Belt Parkway and Cross Island. There were areas out but not as I many as I tought there would be.

Now my parents in Nassau is another story as I drove there late last night to drop off ice for their freezer (another run shortly), much more areas that are out. Drivers were being curtious at least at that hour.

Imagine it was a direct hit from a Cat 3 or higher storm.....

I would argue that we were hit with the worst possible scenario from this hurricane. With the winds we had, I do not think the Battery could have had a surge much higher than what it was. What would have been bad, as alluded to above, is if this storm had occurred 4-6 weeks earlier, with warmer waters. If this came ashore as a Cat 3 hurricane...man oh man. Can't even imagine...

I would argue that we were hit with the worst possible scenario from this hurricane. With the winds we had, I do not think the Battery could have had a surge much higher than what it was. What would have been bad, as alluded to above, is if this storm had occurred 4-6 weeks earlier, with warmer waters. If this came ashore as a Cat 3 hurricane...man oh man. Can't even imagine...

Definitely agreed. The storm's track allowed for the sting jet to be located right over NYC/LI...that combined with the MAUL at high tide gave us the worst possible scenario. If you shift the track north, that sting jet shifts north.

It's hard to say because of the highly unusual track of Sandy. Had we had a weakening cat 3 track similarly to Irene we'd probably have closer to Gloria effects which were relatively minor for NJ/NYC despite stronger sustained winds than Sandy had. We would have also seen a much shorter duration event. Anyone who took the direct hit in the eye wall would have probably seen worse effects than Sandy had but would have been a much smaller area.

It's hard to say because of the highly unusual track of Sandy. Had we had a weakening cat 3 track similarly to Irene we'd probably have closer to Gloria effects which were relatively minor for NJ/NYC despite stronger sustained winds than Sandy had. We would have also seen a much shorter duration event. Anyone who took the direct hit in the eye wall would have probably seen worse effects than Sandy had but would have been a much smaller area.

True. I think the key thing here was the track, though. Sandy barreled into NJ from a little south of almost due east. The surge was obviously going to be bad, especially in lieu of the timing of landfall and the lunar date. IMO, Irene wasn't as bad because it came from the south.

Archived