joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS (Part ii)

Alpha5

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The helicopter footage had the lat and long showing up on the hud there. Plugged that into google earth for a location. Appears to be 1/2 mi from shore in Midland Beach. Also per google earth, elevation is 7' asl at that location.

chopper.png

wow! And that was this morning!

96 mph gust around my area, at the peak almost everyone on LI without power...where is snowgoose? he was categorically wrong and arrogant about it the entire time. and i get warned...LOL.

greatest storm ive ever experienced. and that seems to be basically universal thought. still witout power at home as is most of long island (by most i mean the VAST majority...850k out of 1mil customers.)

hope everyone is safe and suffered minimal losses.

Not sure if anyone saw this... but there appears to be a new inlet in Mantaloking (I'm sure it will get filled in)

This pic brings up a good point. There is no point in repairing the houses and infrastructure before they repair the dune structure first. Otherwise, the first noreaster this winter is going to do a number on the coastline again. The rebuilding is going to take until 2014 before any semblance of normalcy returns.

Not sure if anyone saw this... but there appears to be a new inlet in Mantaloking (I'm sure it will get filled in)

They may elect to keep the inlet during rebuilding. It has happened in the past. That is how Ocean City, Md got its inlet. Although I am not familiar with the area. Hard to tell if that is a barrier island or not. The magnitude of destruction up and down the East Coast is truly unbelievable.

They may elect to keep the inlet during rebuilding. It has happened in the past. That is how Ocean City, Md got its inlet. Although I am not familiar with the area. Hard to tell if that is a barrier island or not. The magnitude of destruction up and down the East Coast is truly unbelievable.

Its a barrier spit. Here's a map:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Mantoloking,+Ocean,+New+Jersey&hl=en&sll=38.502032,-117.02306&sspn=13.314779,19.753418&geocode=FXPzYgIdvhaW-w&hnear=Mantoloking,+Ocean,+New+Jersey&t=m&z=14

Ocean Parkway on Long Island. Between Robert Moses Beach and Jones Beach. Unbelievable.

These two pictures are really something! The protective dunes are completely gone along with the highway! Some sort of protective barrier will have to built in order to prevent flooding on a new highway - otherwise the first Nor'easter will cause more issues.

The beach erosion from this storms is incredible!

Hey everyone, I am still without power in Brooklyn. I am posting from my aunt's house in Staten Island. I can't stay in my house because my house is flooded and I have no heat. The Sheepshead Bay area really got hit hard by the wind and the surge from the bay. My street turned into a river Monday night.. What's amazing is that I live 10 blocks away from the bay and the water from the bay reached me. Alot of trees are down and alot of windows were blown out of alot of stores. My area is a disaster. Hope everyone is safe. What a terrible storm. I will post pics when I get my power back at home.

Hey everyone, I am still without power in Brooklyn. I am posting from my aunt's house in Staten Island. I can't stay in my house because my house is flooded and I have no heat. The Sheepshead Bay area really got hit hard by the wind and the surge from the bay. My street turned into a river Monday night.. What's amazing is that I live 10 blocks away from the bay and the water from the bay reached me. Alot of trees are down and alot of windows were blown out of alot of stores. My area is a disaster. Hope everyone is safe. What a terrible storm. I will post pics when I get my power back at home.

that's incredible...Hope all is well...What street do you live on?...

Looks like that one tree lifted up the eitire concrete sidewalk block with it when it fell...insane.

Yeah dude, its a wild scene, and there's wires everywhere. No halloween until Monday for the kids. I just can't imagine what its like down the shore where people have actually lost their houses. I consider myself lucky to not have major damage to my house and only losing power for 6 hrs or so.

Archived