joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS (Part ii)

Alpha5

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a long time lurker here and come to watch storms for my area, Long Island. Right now, I consider myself one of the lucky 10% that have power,

I am in East Northport, Suffolk County which did fair pretty well with this storm, compared to others. Took a ride in the car today and for miles there is no power. I haven't ventured out towards the water because I know it will be blocked off.

My son is in the National Guard and is currently working in the Rockaways - he says it is Katrina out there. The devastation is just incredible.

It will be many days for some real assessments to come through, but as you are all seeing it's there on the news as well. I've been through many nor'easters and a few hurricanes here on Long Island, but nothing has ever come close to this storm.

I'm glad to see some of the regular members here posting in, keep well and safe.

According to my daughter in Brooklyn, 7 tunnels got flooded. Bloomberg said that it will take 4 days to get the water out of the tunnels. The clean up after that I can only guess at. The salt water will do a lot of damage down there in the tunnels, so I am going to guess at least week until SOME of them are open.

Not an ob per se, but Rutgers New-Brunswick will be closed for the rest of the week. Reopens Monday. Water pumping system in New Brunswick failed and the water supply has been compromised. Telling students to go home if they have anywhere to go, otherwise they have cots in the rec centers.

production manager at one of the theaters downtown wants us to come to work at 10 tomorrow...lol

Hope you all are doing well. I'm sure K speak for many people when I say that my neighborhood is in shambles. We lucked out last night when a tremendous tree fell just a few feet from my house.

A friend of mine from down the shore sent me some pictures of what is left of her block. Almost unfathomable. The face of the NJ Shore has been changed forever.

To those of you who were affected or had loved ones affected directly by the storm, thoughts are with you. Stay safe.

I walked out earlier, and there was a couple of live wires, I was very very close from actually hitting it due to a tremendous tree branch on it. It is dangerous to actually see the wires in the dark.

A huge pine tree and oak tree really came down behind my yard, had it been a bit closer, I probably would not be home right now; due to the tree would actually be through my home.

Stay safe everyone. We can all agree on this: This is the worst storm to hit the NYC area, probably in the history of hurricane tracking. Floyd, Irene, Donna do not really come close to the damage here.

March 1962 Nor'easter had some epic damage at the Jersey Shore, but nothing like this...

I've been searching for aerial shots all day.

This one in particular looks as if a tsunami occurred. Unbelievable what storm surge can do. Stay safe everyone.

My hometown suffered a great amount of damage from Sandy. It's going to be a slow process, but we are

going to bounce back from this. Hopefully JM and LBsurffreak are doing ok. So far I have only been able

to hear from one of my neighbors on my old block. It was one of the few spots in Long Beach where

the houses stayed above the water which only made up into the street. My thoughts and prayers are with

my fellow neighbors. The Long beach boardwalk was the real gem of the town and it really took a beating.

Archived