• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS (Part ii)

Alpha5

Shark river hills marina flattened. Boats on front yards. Belmar beach front destroyed. Largest section of boardwalk left is 30 feet. About 20 square blocks still under water. Wall twp looks like A war Zone. Trees on everything. Asbury park beach front survived. All my family down here ok. The pics I took don't do it justice. And to think this scene is repeated for hundreds and hundreds of miles. Can't imagine anything is left on the barrier islands south of me.

Glad to hear family is ok....is convention hall still standing in Asbury?

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys just back online, had damage from trees and an external gas line to the. BBQ was cracked by a fallen tree. Not a fun morning, but all are safe and that's the most important thing.

Thanks for the numerous updates.

House in bay head likely flooded out .

Sacrus, please post what you hear from Bay Head. Been going there for 11 years (Osborne), am fearing the worst....

been out of power since 10pm last night...finally went out today towards Pauling, NY to a pizzeria. the areas around here are not bad, however about 65% of Danbury is without power and CLP is known to be super slow with their response. not sure when we will get power back on. but being without power is hardly anything to be concerned about when you compare what folks down the coast are dealing with. my heart goes out to you.

Peak wind gust per my mom in Muttontown was 60 MPH last night. They are still on generator power and waiting for Cablevision services to come back, at which point I'll be able to remote into my weather station and retrieve data. Here in Great Neck, looks like only the business district of the Plaza has power N of the LIRR tracks. Everywhere else is in the dark it seems.

Just walked the UWS in a box around 94 to 81, along CPW and Riverside Drive. Can't stress enough again how lucky we are. Mostly relatively light tree damage. Some big ones down along CPW, but generally speaking it doesn't look like a disaster inside the Park. I'm sure there are plenty of trees down, but the Park will still look the same when they clean it up. Given that resources need to be put towards residential neighborhoods, it makes sense to keep it closed and delay opening it. Has to put the Marathon in question for the weekend for that reason alone.

In walking the neighborhood, it was easier to see why I felt so little of the wind during the storm. We are about as sheltered as possible from a NE wind. The cross streets in Manhattan run ESE to WNW. We face south, and we are at the Western end of a long block, so any NE wind basically blows from behind us. My car was parked near CPW and 94th, exposed to the NE wind and a tree fell ten feet from it.

hope all you faired pretty well. suprisingly we lost power last night at 6 and got it back at 4 today. my heart and prays go out to all who were much more affected by this storm than i was and make it out stronger than before. i can tell you one thing though this storm will be talked about for generations to come, absolutely at a loss for words with this beast we experienced

Not an ob per se, but Rutgers New-Brunswick will be closed for the rest of the week. Reopens Monday. Water pumping system in New Brunswick failed and the water supply has been compromised. Telling students to go home if they have anywhere to go, otherwise they have cots in the rec centers.

Not an ob per se, but Rutgers New-Brunswick will be closed for the rest of the week. Reopens Monday. Water pumping system in New Brunswick failed and the water supply has been compromised. Telling students to go home if they have anywhere to go, otherwise they have cots in the rec centers.

Yea i go to rutgers newark and they basically just said there is no way classes can resume this week.

Rode out the storm in the WVillage where power went out like everywhere in Lower Manhattan. Surge was crazy, all the buildings along the water were flooded (was on Perry Street) and the water almost made it up to the next block. Further down it got all the way to Washington Street. If I had been on the West Side Highway--which was completely submerged--would've been waist-deep or more. Winds were 70-80MPH on the Hudson as well. Tons of tree damage down there, but not bad back up in Harlem, where power never went out.

Archived