joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS (Part ii)

Alpha5

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

96 mph gust around my area, at the peak almost everyone on LI without power...where is snowgoose? he was categorically wrong and arrogant about it the entire time. and i get warned...LOL.

greatest storm ive ever experienced. and that seems to be basically universal thought. still witout power at home as is most of long island (by most i mean the VAST majority...850k out of 1mil customers.)

hope everyone is safe and suffered minimal losses.

Yeah, I was definitely off I admit it. Thought we'd see gusts to 70 with maybe 80 at the beaches at the most and did not think places like EWR ot TEB would see anything close to gusts they did. My internet/cable is now out, managed to get to a friend's house. I'd almost rather have no power and have internet/cable.

Hey everyone, I am still without power in Brooklyn. I am posting from my aunt's house in Staten Island. I can't stay in my house because my house is flooded and I have no heat. The Sheepshead Bay area really got hit hard by the wind and the surge from the bay. My street turned into a river Monday night.. What's amazing is that I live 10 blocks away from the bay and the water from the bay reached me. Alot of trees are down and alot of windows were blown out of alot of stores. My area is a disaster. Hope everyone is safe. What a terrible storm. I will post pics when I get my power back at home.

I am really sorry, that sounds awful. I know that area is vulnerable from both the bay and the coast by Manhattan Beach. My grandfather used to live a few blocks away, one house from the water on Manhattan Beach. I'm sure they had terrible flooding there as well.

Yeah, I was definitely off I admit it. Thought we'd see gusts to 70 with maybe 80 at the beaches at the most and did not think places like EWR ot TEB would see anything close to gusts they did. My internet/cable is now out, managed to get to a friend's house. I'd almost rather have no power and have internet/cable.

Winds weren't even that impressive until about 6pm. Before that i didn't think it would be too bad. But i guess the vicious upper level winds found a way to mix down with that impressive jet. Forky and earthlight were on this. Once i saw the first gust come in at about 70mph, i knew it was gonna be a long night.

7,100 Customers got their power back in the past 24 hours in Mount Vernon and 16,000 customers got their power back for the entire Westchester County in 24 Hours and this is all from Con Edison with the help of PSE&G teaming up with Con Edison.

That's really a terrible sign. Usually the first groups that come back up are large as they get the main circuits up and running and then they move into individual neighborhoods. The system must be so badly damaged that there are no large areas even along trunk lines that are uninterrupted.

Still no power in nassau, obviously. Drove out to riverhead and huntington today, and i will say Huntington got the worst i saw. Terrible tree damage and structural. Check out Walk Whitman High School in South Huntington, roof blown off! Thats monster winds.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/531071_3335746692493_128950272_n.jpg

Howard Beach is still a disaster area, Broad Channel is very sad the neighborhod is lost. I had 8 feet of water in my basement, basically it filled up like a swiming pool as the storm surge flowed down all the blocks and avenues. I am at least 10 blocks away from the canal and I still got destoryed along with every other house in the neighborhod. The whole neighborhod basically filled up like a bowl as if it was New Orleans. Every business got destoryed on cross bay blvd. I would take no power any day if I didnt have this dam salt water, it destroyed everything. Even if i get power back my circuit breakers, boilers, water heater were all underwater and destroyed. Thousands of cars were destroyed and were floatig down the avenue around 9pm on Monday (high tide) the water never drained during low tide and when the 80mph winds came in out of the ESE, the water in the bay shot north into the area.

Just took a drive with my brother and dad back up to Maplewood and Scotch Plains. The situation in Maplewood is insane because the area is like a maze of small streets, every other street is blocked by trees or electrical polls. Scotch Plains...same deal, but more open. Just amazing. Both homes still with no power and freezing cold. I still have a tree in my back yard. Drove back down to Moorestown to stay with my parents for however long it takes to get power back on. Thankfully, both my wife and I can wfh.

Wow. Those pics are impressive.

Ant, real sorry about your house. First your Dad and now this...just stay strong for the family, they will need it.

And here is why we had those winds mix down. Boom.

post-33-0-20627200-1351720106_thumb.gif

can you explain what that says to you? I know a moist adiabatic unstable layer allowed the jet streak to mix down, but am unable to figure out if that chart says that. thx

Archived