SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Sandy OBS (Part ii)

Alpha5

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

News is saying 90% of the island without power. 90%!!! sheeesh. LIPA numbers are at 937,000, seems to be leveling off finally...I hope

And that's customers, not people. So 90% is something like 2,700,000 people on Long Island alone without power.

Noreaster27 I'm sorry about what happened. This really sucks. I was really hoping this storm would bust or move away or something but unfortunately it did anything but.

I never lost power and only lost one medium sized tree in my cul de sac. All things considered I'm very lucky. The neighborhood in general though looks terrible. Reminds me of the tornado that ripped through in 2010 only the devastation is widespread.

I also got very lucky and went for a walk late last night. Huge parts of trees down but never lost power but man did they flicker a lot. The roar of those winds were intense.

For those of us with power. Have friends and family without power come over later today when the roads get better.

Have them bring their chargers for phones (not everyone has a car charger).

Clean up and power restoration will take awhile. Will be nice for them to have a place to recharge, catch up on news and even shower.

Will pick my parents up for dinner and have a friend stopping by to charge phone. I am sure the list will grow.

Absolute devastation in the Plainview and Hicksville area. Just found a friend who has power. Trees down everywhere, no power, trees into many houses. Feel blessed that my house is ok, just no power. Most incredible storm ve ever seen. I went out in it at 8pm to a bar for power and food, it was an incredible experience.

Parents down in Ewing only suffered brief power interruptions. Internet is still out. The Davis anemometer on top of the telephone pole in their back yard had a peak gust of 43 mph. That doesn't sound like much, but consider there is a small forest of 60-80 foot trees which ends within 50-100 feet to the northeast, east and southeast of the anemometer, and it suddenly sounds much more impressive. Certainly the highest gust its ever recorded (though its only been up there since May).

Just listened the the AC mayors presser on fox. Went quickly to a blame game between him and Christie.

If the AC mayor disobeyed the governors orders, it's on him. I think most state and local politicians did an excellent job during this storm. We will have plenty of time to analyze further after cleanup.

Heard from relatives that NE Bergen County is without power with lots of trees down everywhere. Wind gusts in Teterboro got up to 72 mph, that's the highest in recent years I can remember. It's absolutely terrible to hear of all of this destruction... best of luck to everyone affected by this.

Hearing of 15 deaths so far in NY.

20+ total.

I drove around Queens. Most damage is in the Whitestone, Beechurst and North Flushing area.

Hundreds of trees down and many of them destroyed homes.

Bayside in general did better. Much fewer trees and damage.

I'll post pics later or tomorrow.

Hearing of 15 deaths so far in NY.

20+ total.

I drove around Queens. Most damage is in the Whitestone, Beechurst and North Flushing area.

Hundreds of trees down and many of them destroyed homes.

Bayside in general did better. Much fewer trees and damage.

I'll post pics later or tomorrow.

unreal...looking forward to the pics...safe to say the name Sandy will be retired.

The AC situation is a tough one because there is a significant portion of the population living in poverty there and if their option is stay at home or spend money they more or less do not have on a hotel when they might have 2 or 3 kids they probably will choose to take the chance. The Mayor probably should have still said must leave regardless but alot of those people there probably felt they had no choice.

The AC situation is a tough one because there is a significant portion of the population living in poverty there and if their option is stay at home or spend money they more or less do not have on a hotel when they might have 2 or 3 kids they probably will choose to take the chance. The Mayor probably should have still said must leave regardless but alot of those people there probably felt they had no choice.

The AC mayor should have ordered it and set up housing for them. I mean, this was a killer event. I feel that he was at fault, not Gov. Christie.

My township sent around an e-mail that claimed that Princeton airport, about a 10 minute drive from my location, recorded a gust of 82 mph.

WOW.

My mom is about that far from it too, she stayed with friends last night in a less wooded area. Got a call from the neighbors that a tree fell on the house this morning, but she's unable to reach it due to tree damage in roads.

I'm sure they could have thought of a way to evacuate people to a better area. Do they not have busses?

My mom is about that far from it too, she stayed with friends last night in a less wooded area. Got a call from the neighbors that a tree fell on the house this morning, but she's unable to reach it due to tree damage in roads.

A total of 15 roads closed in my town due to downed wires/trees. A lot of structual damage throughout the town. Particularly roof and siding damage. A couple trees have also fallen onto homes in my town damaging the houses.

Archived