joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS (Part ii)

Alpha5

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got back from great kills checking on our boat, complete devastation all of the docks floated off and almost all the boats are in streets 500 feet away from where they were originally I got pics and we were lucky only minor damage to our sailboat but it is surreal and absolutely breathtaking seeing all but 5-10 boats all on land.

Incredible pictures your posting here everyone! ...Sorry to hear about everyone's loses! cry.gif I wish you the best in the clean up and during the rebuilding process. Luckily it sounds like the vast majority of people heeded the evacuation warnings.

I was just wondering - was that salt water that got into the Subway tunnels? I would imagine some of it was.

There is even some minor lake shore flooding back here on the western shore of Lake Michigan! Sandy was/is still massive - probably a once in a lifetime event!

Incredible pictures your posting here everyone! ...Sorry to hear about everyone's loses! cry.gif I wish you the best in the clean up and during the rebuilding process. Luckily it sounds like the vast majority of people heeded the evacuation warnings.

I was just wondering - was that salt water that got into the Subway tunnels? I would imagine some of it was.

Yes. Saltwater. Both the Hudson and East River have high salinity at that location.

Multiple houses floated away into the ocean, and many more were destroyed. I am hoping that everyone who decided to stay is still alive.

Fire Island Pines update --

From Jay Pagano, FIPPOA president:

At this time we have limited information about the Pines. We have confirmed reports of extensive washovers from the ocean east of the co-ops and a very severe breach from the ocean to the bay just east of the Pines. We know that there is extensive flooding from the bay and the ocean and the bay is experiencing very high tides at this

time. There is extensive da

mage to pools and decks of ocean houses from the east end of the community to Coastguard Walk. Our dunes are destroyed along the length of the community.

There are confirmed reports of houses lost to the ocean elsewhere on Fire Island but none in the Pines.

Guys just back online, had damage from trees and an external gas line to the. BBQ was cracked by a fallen tree. Not a fun morning, but all are safe and that's the most important thing.

Thanks for the numerous updates.

House in bay head likely flooded out .

just incredible storm. posting from wifi . power out nearly everywhere here in monmiuth county. not bad in my neighborhood thankfully as there arent many large trees. wind gusts reached about 66mph here based on weatherbug stations. my anemometer peaked at 43mph up at 25 feet but my house blocks the wind from the east. definitely the mosr intense storm ive ever experienced. the roar of the wind was incredible last night. with that being said i think it couldve been worse for our areaif the further north tracks into monmouth county had verified. either way its the costliest diaster in nj history. going to take a long time to recover from this one.

My thoughts and condolences go out to everyone affected by this historic storm. Just terrible.

That footage from the Breezy Point fire looks like California on a bad day of Santa Ana winds, or Colorado Springs earlier this year...unbelievable.

I'm at a loss for words with the flooding...

I just got back from great kills checking on our boat, complete devastation all of the docks floated off and almost all the boats are in streets 500 feet away from where they were originally I got pics and we were lucky only minor damage to our sailboat but it is surreal and absolutely breathtaking seeing all but 5-10 boats all on land.

How's the north side of the island look?

Was in Rockaway earlier today. The entire boardwalk end to end is either gone or displaced up against buildings that face the beach. Incredible devastation. My friend's house which is about 3 blocks off the beach and 2 blocks from the bay had a water mark line approx 4 feet off the ground. Cars were floating all over the place last night...apparent by the way they were "parked" today, in all different directions and some on top of or into each other. Tons of sand and debris in the streets for 2-3 blocks in from the beach.

I know many of people on this board bash JB, but he tweeted a couple of days before the storm that boardwalks from A.C. up to NYC/LI would be gone after Sandy.

Heard neponsit neighborhood in Rockaway flooded badly, anyone have specifics on how bad it is in Rockaway?

A cell phone pic from a distance cant possibly describe the amount of trees and size of the trees that were either totally uprooted or snapped off yesterday on my property behind my house. When its safe to get in closer I will get my kids in there to stand next to one of the uprooted trees to get a sense of the size. Still concerned because quite a few trees were uprooted and are just leaning against other trees. Mother nature at her best. At least my shed was spared and more importantly, my house! Most of Monmouth County still without power, myself included.

Shark river hills marina flattened. Boats on front yards. Belmar beach front destroyed. Largest section of boardwalk left is 30 feet. About 20 square blocks still under water. Wall twp looks like A war Zone. Trees on everything. Asbury park beach front survived. All my family down here ok. The pics I took don't do it justice. And to think this scene is repeated for hundreds and hundreds of miles. Can't imagine anything is left on the barrier islands south of me.

Archived