• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS (Part ii)

Alpha5

Bore we moved to Texas, my brother used to take the LIRR into Penn Station, make a couple of transfers, and ride the Lexington Avenue line *uptown* to a Jesuit high school near here.

This is NOT Lower Manhattan

ht_sandy_new_york_flooded_subway_tunnel_ll_121030_wg.jpg

THAT'S NOT MANHATTAN. IT'S BROOKLYN

(sorry, that's been spreading over the Internet and everyone thinks it's Manhattan - either Lexington Ave, CPW or Broadway)

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JFK wind gust is 79 on the PNS. Where is this 85?

ASOS might've had some issues around the time that observation occurred; it wasn't in the METAR (not even PK WND) but showed up in the daily summary:

KJFK DS 29/10 661943/ 520215// 64/ 52//8491703/51/T/T/T/00/T/T/02/02/

01/T/04/07/03/07/10/08/04/02/01/T/M/M/M/M/362/10561903/10851902/18/

NN/N/N/NN/ET EP EW=

That translates to a peak gust of 85 mph from 100 degrees at 1902 EST.

ive got plenty more boat on peoples property pics...just an INSANE storm. I have friends on the noth side of town that had water over the first levels of their homes....devastation.

Where?

Anyway here is some Staten Island footage (roof top rescues going on)

ASOS might've had some issues around the time that observation occurred; it wasn't in the METAR (not even PK WND) but showed up in the daily summary:

KJFK DS 29/10 661943/ 520215// 64/ 52//8491703/51/T/T/T/00/T/T/02/02/

01/T/04/07/03/07/10/08/04/02/01/T/M/M/M/M/362/10561903/10851902/18/

NN/N/N/NN/ET EP EW=

That translates to a peak gust of 85 mph from 100 degrees at 1902 EST.

Oh that's interesting. I figured it would be in the PNS...but thanks for that. Super impressive.

With JFK at 85, and ISP at 90, there were probably gusts 95-100mph, at the beaches.

I was saying 100 possibly at Robert Moses based on some roof damage in those shots of the Field 5 concession stand (of course wave action may have played a role too but it looked like wind damage).

Where?

Anyway here is some Staten Island footage (roof top rescues going on)

The helicopter footage had the lat and long showing up on the hud there. Plugged that into google earth for a location. Appears to be 1/2 mi from shore in Midland Beach. Also per google earth, elevation is 7' asl at that location.

chopper.png

Hard to really grasp the damage around the area at the moment. I'm sure we will be talking about this one for the rest of our lives.

I had an eerie feeling when going over the 18z NAM soundings with forky around 4-5pm. There was a clearly event moist absolutely unstable layer on the 3-9 hour soundings...and we were dealing with mixing down a 75 knot low level jet...and it was a southeast based low level wind info the harbor at high tide.

But it's one of those things where the translation from forecasting , and something you see on data , to real life...and something you see where people are devestated and lives are lost.. is hard to understand.

So true, especially the last paragraph. It was amazing to see the modeled forecasts get translated to real life. The CAA in the upper levels and WAA at the lower levels was shown quite well and steepened our lapse rates, once the winds turned to the E and SE. CoastalWx was also talking about this. A perfect recipe to mix that 80 knot LLJ down, and indeed it did.

Still no power here, and that high voltage line just outside my house is still dangling.

So true, especially the last paragraph. It was amazing to see the modeled forecasts get translated to real life. The CAA in the upper levels and WAA at the lower levels was shown quite well and steepened our lapse rates, once the winds turned to the E and SE. CoastalWx was also talking about this. A perfect recipe to mix that 80 knot LLJ down, and indeed it did.

Still no power here, and that high voltage line just outside my house is still dangling.

I'm one of the fortunate people who are just inconvenienced by this storm....Staten Island could end up with the most deaths caused by Sandy...

Archived