• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS (Part ii)

Alpha5

http://m1355.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/chris0197/photo_zps3275e892.jpg.html?o=0

Just 1 of the pics from near me I have a lot more from rockaway but can't upload no power, I live 5 min from rock, I have devastation here in marine park Brooklyn, but rockaway 5 min away is just abs destroyed. Ill be back there tomorrow helping my friends again, my family store in Babylon village near fire Island inlet is destroyed

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all so sorry to everyone who had damage to their properties, it's really heartbreaking to see all the destruction.

Just hoping someone can help... Anyone from the Ridgewood, NJ or Hohokus or Paramus area? I'm heading down there for a funeral this weekend. I've been told to expect no power, and also told that gas stations are basically out of gas and filling up involves waiting in very long lines and rationing so I should just make sure I have a full tank of gas before I enter NJ.

I'm just trying to plan on how prepared to be and what gear I should bring with me since from what I've been told so far, it's pretty bad.

Not to lessen Noreaster27's plight... but am I the only one who thought when he said his house was destroyed that it was actually a pile of rubble? And not just flooded out?

Nope. Needing a new boiler and circuit breaker != needing a new house, unless there's something I'm missing.

Not to lessen Noreaster27's plight... but am I the only one who thought when he said his house was destroyed that it was actually a pile of rubble? And not just flooded out?

Not the only one...a bunch of my friends live in long beach now thats destroyed,plus numerous

other ones with 6' of water in their basements.

Basements can be pumped out and dryed. I'll show you REALL damage of my marina were i keep my boat tomorrow (pics). But all that stuff is just ''stuff'' and can be replaced, as long as everybody is safe and sound is all that matters. It's going to suck for awhile but we ny's know how to get things done

be safe.

If you get salt water up through the first floor of your house then you'd probably use a similar phrase or statement to describe the situation as well. Put yourself in their situation.

Nooo.... I think I'd say flooded out. Maybe trashed. Maybe say that everything on the basement and first floor was essentially destroyed. But the house is intact. Its not like he's going to have to buldoze the remnants and start over from scratch.

If you guys think what happened to noreaster was whatever then switch places with him.

Why are people hung up on the word "destroyed?" it's been used so often in this thread already. I'm pretty sure not everyone's neighborhood is destroyed and yet we keep hearing this word to describe the situation. Why are people focusing on just noreaster's usage? Because he forecasts 1-3 inches?

can you explain what that says to you? I know a moist adiabatic unstable layer allowed the jet streak to mix down, but am unable to figure out if that chart says that. thx

Sure.

So lets start with the basics. How do we mix higher winds down from aloft? That's when we look at soundings. Soundings allow us to look at the atmospheric profile and gives us a sense of how the atmosphere is laid out...which eventually may tell us how it will behave. In order to mix down stronger winds from a certain level, you must make sure there isn't an inversion. An inversion is a layer of warmer air aloft where the temperature would actually warm as you went higher in the atmosphere. In this example, there is no inversion in the lower levels. This was the OKX soundings at 8pm or 00z.

How do we know there is no inversion? Look at the red line, That is the temperature of the atmosphere as you go up in altitude. To the left is the pressure in millibars. The lower the pressure, the higher up you are. On the bottom we have temperature in Celsius. So, lets follow this red line. As we go up below 850mb, notice how quickly the temperature decreases with height. That means a parcel as the potential to rise from the surface. Now on the right notice the wind barbs. That is 80 to 90 kts of wind right there. So now we have established that air will rise and we have strong winds just off the deck. Who cares, the air is rising right? What does this mean. Well here is the thing. In the atmosphere, if you are unstable..many times you'll get turbulent low level eddies. This means as air is rising, air also sinks. This is called mixing. So here is the deal, you had plenty of air trying to rise, but also turbulent eddy mixing allowed air to also sink. The sinking air carried with it strong winds from aloft. This is how we were able to mix down these ferocious winds.

I kept this simple without getting to detailed with soundings, but basically that sounding is about as unstable as you will ever see in an environment like this. I've never seen anything like it. This was also well modeled.

If you guys think what happened to noreaster was whatever then switch places with him.

Why are people hung up on the word "destroyed?" it's been used so often in this thread already. I'm pretty sure not everyone's neighborhood is destroyed and yet we keep hearing this word to describe the situation. Why are people focusing on just noreaster's usage? Because he forecasts 1-3 inches?

Because there were people out there who really have only a pile of rubble to go back to. I don't think anyone here has used the word "destroyed" to describe their own home when it was only flooded.

Because there were people out there who really have only a pile of rubble to go back to. I don't think anyone here has used the word "destroyed" to describe their own home when it was only flooded.

Ok what can I say. You're right his house is not destroyed. But some people on this board have this fixation with making the guy feel like crap because he downplays storms. That's some sick behavior. But what you gonna do we can't all come out of the factory fully functional.

Howard Beach is still a disaster area, Broad Channel is very sad the neighborhod is lost. I had 8 feet of water in my basement, basically it filled up like a swiming pool as the storm surge flowed down all the blocks and avenues. I am at least 10 blocks away from the canal and I still got destoryed along with every other house in the neighborhod. The whole neighborhod basically filled up like a bowl as if it was New Orleans. Every business got destoryed on cross bay blvd. I would take no power any day if I didnt have this dam salt water, it destroyed everything. Even if i get power back my circuit breakers, boilers, water heater were all underwater and destroyed. Thousands of cars were destroyed and were floatig down the avenue around 9pm on Monday (high tide) the water never drained during low tide and when the 80mph winds came in out of the ESE, the water in the bay shot north into the area.

dude - so sorry to hear. I hope things get better for you, QUICKLY.

I know a women who lost her house in Midland Beach...She evacuated but her neighbors didn't...Two of her neighbors died...As high as the tide and serge was it's probably not the highest it can get...I know that area and it's below sea level...There is still water in the streets there...

I know a women who lost her house in Midland Beach...She evacuated but her neighbors didn't...Two of her neighbors died...As high as the tide and serge was it's probably not the highest it can get...I know that area and it's below sea level...There is still water in the streets there...

Very sad...was it an evacuation zone?

Sure.

So lets start with the basics. How do we mix higher winds down from aloft? That's when we look at soundings. Soundings allow us to look at the atmospheric profile and gives us a sense of how the atmosphere is laid out...which eventually may tell us how it will behave. In order to mix down stronger winds from a certain level, you must make sure there isn't an inversion. An inversion is a layer of warmer air aloft where the temperature would actually warm as you went higher in the atmosphere. In this example, there is no inversion in the lower levels. This was the OKX soundings at 8pm or 00z.

How do we know there is no inversion? Look at the red line, That is the temperature of the atmosphere as you go up in altitude. To the left is the pressure in millibars. The lower the pressure, the higher up you are. On the bottom we have temperature in Celsius. So, lets follow this red line. As we go up below 850mb, notice how quickly the temperature decreases with height. That means a parcel as the potential to rise from the surface. Now on the right notice the wind barbs. That is 80 to 90 kts of wind right there. So now we have established that air will rise and we have strong winds just off the deck. Who cares, the air is rising right? What does this mean. Well here is the thing. In the atmosphere, if you are unstable..many times you'll get turbulent low level eddies. This means as air is rising, air also sinks. This is called mixing. So here is the deal, you had plenty of air trying to rise, but also turbulent eddy mixing allowed air to also sink. The sinking air carried with it strong winds from aloft. This is how we were able to mix down these ferocious winds.

I kept this simple without getting to detailed with soundings, but basically that sounding is about as unstable as you will ever see in an environment like this. I've never seen anything like it. This was also well modeled.

Scott - thanks, VERY helpful.

Very sad...was it an evacuation zone?

I think so but I'm not sure...I would have left if I lived there...many older people lived in that area...so far I heard 14 people died on the island...We got the Ocean damage and wind damage...Trees are down all over the place...two lucky home owners got lucky when a huge tree fell between their houses...The branches brushed both sides of the homes...It would have crushed either one of those match boxes...It's the worst storm I've ever seen...

I am a medical student at one of the eastside hospitals that is being evacuated. I do not have any amazing pictures to post, but I would like to acknowledge all the heroic work that went on at NYU medical center and is currently going on at Bellevue Hospital. We have medical students, doctors, nurses, support staff, and the national guard working in terrible conditions, literally carrying patients down 17+ flights of stairs. It was an amazing sight to see everyone doing their best for the patients at these two facilities. Our dorm still has now power and water. I have heard that Bellevue could be closed for two weeks or more, which is troubling since it is the only Level 1 Trauma center below central park in manhattan serving a great deal of manhattan and parts of Brooklyn. This hospital has been operating continuously since the early 1800's, and this is the first time it has ever closed. Talk about an unprecedented storm indeed.

Archived