joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS (Part ii)

Alpha5

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not "bs". Its just what happens when you try to measure wind in a sheltered site. My parents only gusted to 43 mph, thanks to the little forest nearby. By comparison, Trenton Airport gusted to 68.

Just curious, what's the height of your anemometer? I've got mine on a pole up at about 25' AGL as that's the best I could do w/o going to the roof. I also had a peak gust of 43mph, but my house is located NE of the station and there's a thin forest 50ft to the east with some very tall red oaks. NE and E are the worst directions for me in terms of recording high winds, unfortunately that's the wind direction we see with nor'easters/storms, so my biggest gusts have been coming with T-storms or NW flow CAA events.

Looked like the ASOS took some kind of hit around the time of the max wind. From the daily summary the max wind was just after 8PM, but the next hourly has a dollar sign and no "pk wnd" remark, so something happened around that time (not surprisingly). As far as OKX missing it, I think (don't quote me on this) that they have a program which pulls out the gust reports from the METARs, so since it wasn't in the METAR it got missed.

That makes sense. Thanks for the response.

Anyone know what the Dix Hill area of Long Island looks like. We are suppose to have a hockey game up there this weekend but I feel its a trip that won't be happening for a while for a number of reasons.

My aunt/uncle live in Dix Hills and actually never lost power.......but they are in the minority. Gas (lack of) is a growing concern across LI too now. Getting worse by the day according to family.

Hi everyone. Sad to report that the national guard is not letting me or anyone else in our development in Beach Haven West to get in to look at our houses. I'm sure it will need to be completely rebuilt given the fact I'm one lagoon off the bay. Power to my office which is in another town was turned on last night. I'm in total shock of everything that has happened. I'm just happy all my family and friends are safe.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts concerning everyone affected by this storm.

My aunt/uncle live in Dix Hills and actually never lost power.......but they are in the minority. Gas (lack of) is a growing concern across LI too now. Getting worse by the day according to family.

Thanks....my dad was talking of bringing some spare gas in case we do go and run into any problems.

This is becoming a problem. HUGE lines at all gas stations took forever to get home. Anybody know what's happening? Not to mention FD and police use local stations for fuel in this area.

This is becoming a problem. HUGE lines at all gas stations took forever to get home. Anybody know what's happening? Not to mention FD and police use local stations for fuel in this area.

#1-can't get gas tankers out to LI

#2-no power at too many gas stations

What a mess. My sister says she saw people getting in fist fights today waiting for gas and there are no cops around some station to even "keep the peace". Sounds like it's getting real ugly.

#1-can't get gas tankers out to LI

#2-no power at too many gas stations

What a mess. My sister says she saw people getting in fist fights today waiting for gas and there are no cops around some station to even "keep the peace". Sounds like it's getting real ugly.

Yea, I was even hearing police having a hard time finding fuel on the scanner. This is not good

Was able to see the total devastation on tv today for the first time, thoughts and prayers out to all of you your family and friends. NYC and the entire area is tough as nails, they made it through 9/11 without flinching and you will all be back and stronger than ever. I really hope the weather cooperates over the next two weeks.

Power is slowly being restored to parts of Nassau County. I was lucky to get my lights back Tuesday evening

here in Western Nassau. My friends in Farmingdale just got their power back about 4 hours ago.

Long Beach has the toughest conditions right now here in Nassau. I visited some friends there yesterday

and they were without water, sewer, or electric. The national guard was distributing food and water there

today. Many of the residences experienced damaging flooding and loss of their breaker boxes, hot water

heaters, and boilers. There are cars ruined by salt water all over the city pushed around by the tidal

surge and are now stuck in the sand. Many of the parking garages on the lower levels of the condos

and apartments suffered losses of all the cars parked in there.

Yea, I was even hearing police having a hard time finding fuel on the scanner. This is not good

Yup, I know one cop who lives in Babylon and he's starting to get worried. Not a good sign at all. He also said aid hasn't even gotten to certain Suffolk Co. communities hard hit by Sandy along the immediate south shore.

From what I am hearing, Staten Island had most of the deaths in NYC. Was this just because surge may have been highest here? Or just less people evac from there?

I think the surge was highest there, but the Sandy Hook tide gauge failed before it peaked, so right now we don't know what it was.

I am back in Staten Island over my aunt's house. I went home today because I thought I had power. I didn't get power back yet. Going on 72 hours.

Me neither, no power yet.

Anyone who says power is coming back on slowly is dreaming.

This morning 77% of nassau was in the dark, now its 75%, at this rate power wont be back until December.

And again, the mayor is to blame for those deaths, downplaying the storm and nto calling for evacuations when everyone else knew it was a serious threat. Why nobody is calling for his resignation is perplexing...i mean im angry, why isnt anyone else doing anything about this clown?

Me neither, no power yet.

Anyone who says power is coming back on slowly is dreaming.

This morning 77% of nassau was in the dark, now its 75%, at this rate power wont be back until December.

And again, the mayor is to blame for those deaths, downplaying the storm and nto calling for evacuations when everyone else knew it was a serious threat. Why nobody is calling for his resignation is perplexing...i mean im angry, why isnt anyone else doing anything about this clown?

December?

I hope it's back by Thanksgiving, let alone December.

Archived