joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS (Part ii)

Alpha5

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work a corporate call center, and we have a fairly large customer base on Staten Island and the Jersey Shore. Some of the calls I have been getting have been breaking my heard.

I had a guy call today from Staten Island...an older guy, who told me he got lucky, and only had 4 feet of water in his basement. He said he is lucky because a couple blocks away from him, there are homes that are just gone.

NOw, I know how these things work, but what he told me scared me to death. He told me that those "missing" and "unaccounted for" numbers are not really being released because there was huge loss of life on Staten Island. Now, again, I know these are usually exagerations and rumors, but he said they have pulled over 200 bodies from wreckage and are identifying them before numbers are released.

I just hope to god that this is not true....

Heard the same from a cop friend of mine. He told me there are many more bodies in Staten Island. So far 19 deaths confirmed but I expect that to go much higher in the coming days.

You know how this could have been worse? If we had 5-10 inches of rain soaking into the ground at the same time everything else was happening.

ive been preaching that to alot of people i know saying we got off pretty light on LI in comparison to if we did get 5-10+inches of rain. there would be ALOT more trees and damage done. we still got destroyed but wouldve been alot worse had we did get the big rains from inland

Heard the same from a cop friend of mine. He told me there are many more bodies in Staten Island. So far 19 deaths confirmed but I expect that to go much higher in the coming days.

Unfortunately, I can believe it. I was shocked how little we have heard in the media about Staten Island, as it is in an area that would take one of the biggest impacts (geographically wise).

On a side note, the fact that they are running the marathon on Sunday, STARTING in Staten Island is a miserable joke.

Anthony if you're in the Eltingville area and you have the means to do so, pass by Wiman Avenue by the water off Hylan Blvd. We have family friends there at the end of the street where it's only feet from the water and we can't get in touch with them. I have a bad feeling their home didn't make it.

heard the Marina cafe was hit hard...That's not far from Wiman Ave...Looking at it on the map makes me think that block got hit hard...

heard the Marina cafe was hit hard...That's not far from Wiman Ave...Looking at it on the map makes me think that block got hit hard...

That's not good to hear. They got really badly flooded during December 92, but no structural damage occurred. I don't think they'd be so "lucky" this time.

I'm sure they could have thought of a way to evacuate people to a better area. Do they not have busses?

Mayors sometimes have a problem with thinking clearly-they busses-plenty of them in NOLA before Katrina with which they could have evaced the 9th Ward but never used them suspect a similar thing here.

Steve

This was the ultimate track for NJ/NY coasts, and worst case scenario on par with the 1903 and 1821 type storms. The latter was a Cat 3 riding up the east coast, landfalling Cape May, 29ft surge on the NJ shore and 13ft at the Battery, as the low passed just SE of NYC.

The transitioning of Sandy to a hybrid type storm made this much worse than most east coast hurricanes for our area due to the scope of hurricane force winds. And as noted the storm surge piles up to the NE of the center, which we were in.

My parents told me they heard 6-14 days from JCP and L, and they will be restoring areas with quote "higher population density" first..I feel like this is the end of the world. Pulling straws on who gets to be saved first. Absolute madness.

Really heartbreaking stories, guys! WE WILL rebuild, and as tough as this is right now for all of your directly affected, in the relatively near future, it will be a memory only to be relived in stories. Stay strong, stay warm, and most importantly, stay with your loved ones and try to make the best of it. Somehow, my flight from Charleston to LaGuardia is on tomorrow (I had plans to come to NY this weekend for my cousin's engagement party in Island Park, which of course is now cancelled...which in its own right is a tragic story seeing as my cousin's mom has terminal lung cancer, and that is why they kind of NEEDED to have the party now...so that she'd be around for it). Well anyway, I will be in NYC this weekend, as my fiance lives there as well. She lives in the W village, no flooding, but no power...and her parents and siblings in Roslyn, Great Neck, and Merrick have no power either. She's been cooping up with friends uptown at night and working various 12h shifts at shelters during the day (she is normally a city employee working in the Mayor's Office). Not sure where we'll be staying, but I look forward to being back to my true home for a couple of days to lend a helping hand if I am able. Stay strong, guys!

Bloom berg tried to be a weather man which he was not. I still think he is doing a good job over all planning and handling the impacts. I won't hold that against him too much.

I agree...ultimately you're the only one to blame if you didn't evacuate and could have. Everyone knew this was coming after all. Almost a week of notice. I'm sure the same folks who didn't evacuate this time didn't evacuate for previous storms when they were supposed to.

As far as the power goes...you were hit by 65-90mph gusts and many feet of water. Patience is a virtue. As far as the 3 person per car rule. If there are this many people w/o 3 people for their car, why not find a person that needs a ride to make up that deficit?

Archived