joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy - Lights Flickering Thread

Yeoman

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have had only two instances of lights flickering here in Gainesville. What I'd like to know is why is my Directv still on after all this wind and rain when it only takes a moderate rain and some inconsequential wind to take it out any other time.

I was wondering the exact same thing my Directv has not missed a beat since the storm started, usually in any heavy downpour i lose service for a few minutes.

Skinny raindrops. The fat ones block the signal. Seriously.

7.06" of rain so far here in Clarksburg. Temp is 39.5°F with a DP of 39. Winds are from the WSW at 11mph and the last gust was from the WNW at 49mph over 3 hours ago. Things have really calmed down. Peak 10-min sustained winds last night were from the WNW at 44mph and the peak gust was from the NNW at 61mph, achieved twice. Most gusts were in the 55mph range and for around 3 hours.

Edited to add: the lowest pressure I saw was 28.66", 970Mb at 11:20pm. We're at 29.11Mb now.

Sandy's winds were near expectations... Maybe 5 mph less or so? A forecast of 55-65 mph would have been right on for most of the region. We did see some reports of over 70 mph and we did seem some severe damage like roof off in Alexandria.

So it was bad enough and the gusts regionwide were higher than Isabel. Probably three factors prevented the massive outages everyone was preparing for: 1) Derecho already knocked down the weaker trees; 2) the wind direction was from the typical high wind direction behind cold fronts; 3) fewer leaves than during the summertime.

I'm particularly surprised by how few Pepco outages there were.

Power went last night around 8. BGE automated service says it'll be back on by 3pm. We shall see.

Good to hear. My wife packed up our two infant children and headed out to her parents' house. I'm thinking power outages are underreported due to the sheer volume (it's my understanding that outages are not counted unless someone actually reports it), so who knows at this point. Sump pump isn't running so not looking forward to what I find when I return home after work.

Good to hear. My wife packed up our two infant children and headed out to her parents' house. I'm thinking power outages are underreported due to the sheer volume (it's my understanding that outages are not counted unless someone actually reports it), so who knows at this point. Sump pump isn't running so not looking forward to what I find when I return home after work.

I'm not sure what's going on regarding reporting. When I called they were already aware of my outage.

Still out here (including Comcast). The automated line now just says they know there is a problem, but have no estimate on when it will be fixed. I expect to be out until the weekend. I drove around the area today and saw no trees down or damaged lines or any other indication a storm even occurred. There is clearly another deeper issue with the local grid here as this is the third multi-day outage in the last year or so. My suspicion is that the local substation is a Thomas Edison v1.0 model from 1890. Kingsville is a very old community with many historic buildings.

Archived