joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy - Lights Flickering Thread

Yeoman

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its more luck than anything to be honest.

And yeah, since I posted that, I've been flickering...most so far this evening.

I think we're probably still a little below the threshold where you see mass tree downings. Plus the other factors (derecho, leaves etc). I thought it might give in a bit ago.

Sounds like maybe a substation went out in your area and they corrected the issue remotely/switched the load to other stations - maybe others continued failing.

I know during Irene one of the local substations supposedly "blew up" and suffered "catastrophic damage" in the words of one BGE guy eating a sandwich in my neighborhood during his break. I was in a bad mood so remarked it must have been one hell of a tree. He didn't think it was funny.

Have had only two instances of lights flickering here in Gainesville. What I'd like to know is why is my Directv still on after all this wind and rain when it only takes a moderate rain and some inconsequential wind to take it out any other time.

I was wondering the exact same thing my Directv has not missed a beat since the storm started, usually in any heavy downpour i lose service for a few minutes.

The outages have not gone up in the past hour so it seems like you should be in good shape and keep your power.

Edit: Probably because BGE has not updated their page since 10:06

Oh sh*t ...if I had known they didn't update.... my power would have been out 45 minutes ago.

Archived