CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Hurricane Sandy thread

usedtobe

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any thoughts as to whether that eastern wall to the precip just now getting to northern Delaware will get to central Maryland before the storm rotates up through, i.e., will this rain stop for a bit later this evening? It would seem so from radar watching, but it also appears that the southeast side to the storm is filling back in with clouds and so there may be plenty of precip to come. How should the dynamics there play out?

Center passes to our north. If there is a break in precip it will be brief. Edge of heavy precip S of acy is already starting to rotate N.

10pm-4am is going to be insane.

surprising, I've been checking out Dover and their obs haven't been a whole lot worse than what we've been experiencing and that's where our heavy stuff is coming from

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KDOV.html

I notice a fair amount of dry air getting entrenched on the NE/N flanks of the center of Sandy so maybe that will help to kill some of those winds...maybe

We are soon the point where someone funny on here posted that image a few days ago and said "the megalopolis goes dark now"....

It is just pouring wind at my place. New experience for me, going through something like this.

yup--0z tonight ;)

models ftw

RECENT OBSERVATIONS

-------------------

* 70 MPH WIND GUST AT BISHOPS HEAD MARYLAND AT 340 PM.

* 68 MPH WIND GUST AT POINT LOOKOUT MARYLAND AT 520 PM.

* 60 MPH WIND GUST AT ORIOLE PARK IN BALTIMORE MARYLAND AT 500 PM.

* 56 MPH WIND GUST AT PATUXENT RIVER NAVAL AIR STATION AT 248 PM.

* 55 MPH WIND GUST AT THOMAS POINT LIGHT ON THE CHESAPEAKE BAY AT

4:00 PM.

* 55 MPH WIND GUST AT REAGAN NATIONAL AIRPORT AT 549 PM.

* 47 MPH WIND GUST AT MARSHALL BWI AIRPORT AT 118 PM.

Center passes to our north. If there is a break in precip it will be brief. Edge of heavy precip S of acy is already starting to rotate N.

Thanks. That was my reasoning as well, but I wasn't sure whether there would be a break for a while considering the breakup of the classic cyclonic structure. When I saw Zwyts' post of the modeled precip, though, I deleted my original post because if there's a possible 4 additional inches of rain then any break must be pretty brief.

TL;DR: thank you for the confirmation.

New band rotating in seems to have ratcheted it up a notch. Pretty heavy roars. I wish it was still daylight!

Edit: wrong thread.

On Topic: center of circulation is just starting to hit the brakes. Simply an amazing event. And the models have done an unbelievable job with something so extraordinary.

Archived