URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

434 AM EDT SUN OCT 28 2012

...THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER FORECASTS HURRICANE SANDY TO

TRACK TO THE NORTHEAST TO A POSITION WELL OFF THE NORTH CAROLINA

COAST SUNDAY NIGHT...BEFORE SHIFTING TO THE NORTHWEST AND MOVING

TOWARD THE SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY AND DELAWARE COASTS MONDAY INTO

TUESDAY. THE TRACK OF SANDY IS EXPECTED TO BRING HIGH WINDS TO

THE REGION MONDAY THROUGH TUESDAY EVENING...

DCZ001-MDZ004>007-009>011-013-014-016>018-VAZ053-054-281645-

/O.UPG.KLWX.HW.A.0002.121029T0600Z-121031T0000Z/

/O.NEW.KLWX.HW.W.0002.121029T1200Z-121031T0000Z/

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-

HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-PRINCE GEORGES-

ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT-FAIRFAX-

ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...FREDERICK...WESTMINSTER...

GAITHERSBURG...COLUMBIA...BALTIMORE...ANNAPOLIS...WALDORF...

ST MARYS CITY...FAIRFAX...ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH

434 AM EDT SUN OCT 28 2012

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM MONDAY TO 8 PM EDT

TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS

ISSUED A HIGH WIND WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM MONDAY

TO 8 PM EDT TUESDAY. THE HIGH WIND WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* TIMING...WIND GUSTS OVER 45 MPH ARE EXPECTED BY 8 AM MONDAY AND

UP TO 60 MPH MONDAY AFTERNOON INTO TUESDAY.

* IMPACTS...A PROLONGED 24-TO-36 HOUR HIGH WIND EVENT WILL TAKE

PLACE ACROSS THE WARNING AREA. COUPLED WITH HEAVY RAINS FROM

SANDY...THE HIGH WINDS WILL LEAD TO SIGNIFICANT TREE DAMAGE.

RESIDENTS...VISITORS... AND BUSINESSES ACROSS THE REGION SHOULD

PLAN FOR WIDESPREAD POWER AND COMMUNICATION OUTAGES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

BE PREPARED FOR EXTENDED POWER OUTAGES. IF YOU LIVE NEAR LARGE

TREES...REMAIN IN THE LOWER LEVEL OF YOUR HOME OR SEEK SHELTER

ELSEWHERE IF POSSIBLE.

REFRAIN FROM ANY UNNECESSARY TRAVELING AND STAY INDOORS.

&&

from i95 west about 30-40 miles 5-6, i95 to del border 6-8

Nice to see you around again. You kick ass with euro data in the winter and we thank you.

I tried piecing together the euro track in the SNE forum but got tired. I know the euro does the same central NJ lf. How far south does the center track as it moves west?

Nice to see you around again. You kick ass with euro data in the winter and we thank you.

I tried piecing together the euro track in the SNE forum but got tired. I know the euro does the same central NJ lf. How far south does the center track as it moves west?

I think i saw north central MD on the 0z run.

yea it pretty much rides the pa/md border then rotates south by hagerstown then over dc

Thanks.

GFS/NAM combo pretty much the same thing. That's part of the sheer madness with Sandy. She just parks for a bit and spins herself to near death before deciding to move north. I guess I'm forced to believe it now.

Another unusual thing about sandy is the heaviest precip totals are all very near or south of the center. IIRC landfalling tropical cyclones typically deteriorate into an oblong shield with the heaviest precip to the NW of the center.

And yet, it looks like a nice little PRE setting up over Delmarva.

Does anyone know if MD Transportation Authority has ever closed the I-95 / I-895 tunnels? I found references to possibly closing them when Irene went through (if pumps couldn't keep up.)

Gotta be on the roads Mon afternoon + Tue morning and suspect the Key Bridge will be closed. Thus, trying to figure out plan B and possibly plan C. unsure.png

I strongly recommend not driving around. I'm pretty much 100% certain someone will be killed by a falling tree while driving around unnecessarily.

I almost got my dumb ass killed during the July 2009 storm when a branch came through my roof in my dining room. It stopped less than 6 inches from my head. Sounded like a gunshot and showered me with drywall and insulation. I chose to stand by the glass door to watch while my family was safe in my lower level family room. I've replayed that in my mind literally 1000's of times. I will NEVER put myself in harms way again unless it is absolutely necessary.

I strongly recommend not driving around. I'm pretty much 100% certain someone will be killed by a falling tree while driving around unnecessarily.

I almost got my dumb ass killed during the July 2009 storm when a branch came through my roof in my dining room. It stopped less than 6 inches from my head. Sounded like a gunshot and showered me with drywall and insulation. I chose to stand by the glass door to watch while my family was safe in my lower level family room. I've replayed that in my mind literally 1000's of times. I will NEVER put myself in harms way again unless it is absolutely necessary.

Agree with this. That's pretty scary having a branch almost fall on top of you.

It's no fun to drive around unless you have to during such an event. Standing water, trees/power lines down, etc.

That said, I have the car gassed up just in case it's needed for an emergency. I had to travel the day after the derecho event, tank was kind of low. Not that I was planning in advance of a derecho, of course! With the power out damn near everywhere, there was nothing open for quite a distance, and I was getting nervous about running on empty. I was going up toward Philly, and finally was able to find a place up in northeast MD, after the low gas light had been on for a little while.

At least this storm, one can anticipate and plan.

The latest tracks I'm seeing have shifted south...southern NJ or even DE.

I thought they just consolidated into a narrower envelope. At least with the latest nam/gfs/euro combo. Which reliable model did you see pressing towards DE?

On another note...the Euro has done something nothing short of amazing with Sandy. I think it all came down to properly handling the block. I'm going to keep that in the front of my mind this winter.

Yeah most of the tropical models at 12z came in far southern NJ or DE, although i do not know if the tropical models mean anything anymore.

NHC's track looks slightly north of what they had before, but still landfall in central NJ. Maybe it appears "farther north" because once its inland, they take it into central PA rather than across northeast MD. But at this point, I don't think that makes much difference in the grand scheme of things.

I thought they just consolidated into a narrower envelope. At least with the latest nam/gfs/euro combo. Which reliable model did you see pressing towards DE?

On another note...the Euro has done something nothing short of amazing with Sandy. I think it all came down to properly handling the block. I'm going to keep that in the front of my mind this winter.

FWIW

post-3175-0-91969300-1351431644_thumb.gi

Another unusual thing about sandy is the heaviest precip totals are all very near or south of the center. IIRC landfalling tropical cyclones typically deteriorate into an oblong shield with the heaviest precip to the NW of the center.

But those storms are usually moving north and east and are with the best frontogenetic forcing. Here the storm turns west due to the upper low and the cold air associated with it. With Sandy being a hybrid warm core system, the best temp contrast and frontogenesis is on the south side. weird but logical.

FWIW

I was trying to get an opinion from a met on this earlier: do these tropical/cane models hold any weight whatsoever at this point?

Technically, the NHC cone still leaves open the possibility of this landing anywhere from Ocean City to the Hamptons. I was telling some of the RIC people that this doesn't matter as much for NOVA/MD/DE/NJ/E PA but the weather on the edges (down here and parts of SNE) sort of hinges on landfall position.

The latest tracks I'm seeing have shifted south...southern NJ or even DE.

I thought the euro was central but didn't have very good resolution. It did seem like the gfs shifted south some. They all are clustered close enough together that it doesn't seem to make much difference except that the southern track gives us bob's 5 inch plus amounts.

I thought the euro was central but didn't have very good resolution. It did seem like the gfs shifted south some. They all are clustered close enough together that it doesn't seem to make much difference except that the southern track gives us bob's 5 inch plus amounts.

I think he was talking about the tropical models not the global models.

A track near Southern NJ would be better I think for the MA as far as winds go because 850 LLJ is displaced well sw of low center. Further north track would actually be worse, meaning stronger winds. FWIW we were thinking potential 60kt gusts perhaps isolated 65kt gusts.

I think that's probably right though as it approaches and leaves, we'll still get plenty of winds. It also depends on the stability some and the closer we get to the storm and the heavier the showers, the better chance I think of transporting the winds to the surface but.....I'm no expert on it.

I think that's probably right though as it approaches and leaves, we'll still get plenty of winds. It also depends on the stability some and the closer we get to the storm and the heavier the showers, the better chance I think of transporting the winds to the surface but.....I'm no expert on it.

The showers may be key in mixing that down. It could be one of those deals where sustained winds aren't strong, but you get these fitfull gusts from nowhere.

Archived