joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy thread

usedtobe

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the neighborhoods in your area have some pretty large trees. Any trees down/damage that you have been able to see?

So far no, I have to go out this morning, so I will report back, most of my area is not flush with trees, except for some woods west of me. It kinda chilled down a bit last night , but this morning I have steady rain and winds about 20-30 mph.

Seeing heavy returns around DC. Looking at the the temps within that area and them being cooler then the surrounding region I wonder if that might be returns off of sleet?

I was right under the heaviest echoes. All rain. Might have been some bright banding from melting snow, but the surface layer is quite warm.

I was right under the heaviest echoes. All rain. Might have been some bright banding from melting snow, but the surface layer is quite warm.

It had the look of frozen on the returns was just curious if it was reaching the ground. Of course I haven't looked at the temp profiles so it may very well have just been a heavier band of rain.

Modelling overall was excellent IMO. Sandy's unusual track, extreme pressure, timing, WV snows were known roughly a week in advance. Some details failed, for example the winds were overforecasted in MD, and the heavy rains cut off sooner, but the gist was correct with plenty of advance notice. Well done!

Modelling overall was excellent IMO. Sandy's unusual track, extreme pressure, timing, WV snows were known roughly a week in advance. Some details failed, for example the winds were overforecasted in MD, and the heavy rains cut off sooner, but the gist was correct with plenty of advance notice. Well done!

Agree overall. I think the winds were overforecast in the eastern part. In Frederick, we were always in the 35-45 sustained with gusts up to 60. That panned out near perfectly especially with the gusts. Many local sites recorded 55-65 as their peak gust. My roof concurs :(

Archived