joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy thread

usedtobe

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mets, does the increase in forward speed put our metro areas at greater risk for higher winds? Less interaction with land before the center is at it's closest to us?

I thought I read on another region board that a faster storm would prevent it from making as sharp of a western hook as it is predicted to.

NAM may be the winner in this respect

Hot off the press:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

216 PM EDT MON OCT 29 2012

VAZ025-026-300230-

/O.UPG.KLWX.WW.Y.0013.000000T0000Z-121030T1800Z/

/O.EXB.KLWX.BZ.W.0001.121029T1816Z-121030T1800Z/

AUGUSTA-ROCKINGHAM-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...STAUNTON...WAYNESBORO...HARRISONBURG

216 PM EDT MON OCT 29 2012

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM EDT TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS

ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM EDT

TUESDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...HEAVY WET SNOW MIXING WITH RAIN AT TIMES.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES FOR ELEVATIONS ABOVE 2000 FEET.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BE HEAVIEST THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

PRECIPITATION WILL CONTINUE INTO TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWER TO MIDDLE 30S.

* WINDS...WEST 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH.

* IMPACTS...IT IS LIKELY THAT THE COMBINATION OF STRONG WIND AND

HEAVY WET SNOW WILL DOWN TREE LIMBS AND POWER LINES. EXPECT NEAR

ZERO VISIBILITIES IN PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE

EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS

AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT

CONDITIONS...MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IF

YOU MUST TRAVEL...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET

STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

&&

$$

My guess is is keeps chugging until it gets closer to the upper low and is captured and starts becoming vertical, that's when it is likely to slow and almost stall before lifting back out but that's just a guess.

Thanks, Wes. Your "guesses" generally pan out pretty well.

Also, if it's not too dumb a question, can you (or anyone) explain "baroclinic intesification?" I've read that as Sandy goes extra-tropical, that's the deepening that we should expect to see.

Thanks, Wes. Your "guesses" generally pan out pretty well.

Also, if it's not too dumb a question, can you (or anyone) explain "baroclinic intesification?" I've read that as Sandy goes extra-tropical, that's the deepening that we should expect to see.

I think that has contributed to Sandy's strengthening some already. IN this case approaching trough had a really nice double jet streak structure to enhance upper level divergece along the frontal boundary that was approaching from the west. The trough would have probably formed a noreaster without Candy. Whenever you have strong upper level divergence you are removing mass (air) from the top of the column which helps lower pressure. Negative tilting troughs like this one generally have stronger upper level divergence than other troughs. as tropical system gets closer to the through it increases the temperature gradient along the front and baroclinic zone which strengthens any lifting along it. Add lots of moisture and then you get that latent heating to add fuel to the system. That's a real simplistic answer. Others who have been to school more recently can probably do a better job explaining it.

My guess is is keeps chugging until it gets closer to the upper low and is captured and starts becoming vertical, that's when it is likely to slow and almost stall before lifting back out but that's just a guess.

Agree 100%. This changes very little outside of the very near term IMO. This sucker likely still has a reserved parking space around the Mason Dixon.

I think that has contributed to Sandy's strengthening some already. IN this case approaching trough had a really nice double jet streak structure to enhance upper level divergece along the frontal boundary that was approaching from the west. The trough would have probably formed a noreaster without Candy. Whenever you have strong upper level divergence you are removing mass (air) from the top of the column which helps lower pressure. Negative tilting troughs like this one generally have stronger upper level divergence than other troughs. as tropical system gets closer to the through it increases the temperature gradient along the front and baroclinic zone which strengthens any lifting along it. Add lots of moisture and then you get that latent heating to add fuel to the system. That's a real simplistic answer. Others who have been to school more recently can probably do a better job explaining it.

Awesome. Thanks.

Best post I've read all day.. thanks!

New LWX snow map

335d4ev.png

I'm going to say we see some flakes around here in most of northern virginia tomorrow morning. I will bump this early tomorrow.

The surface temps tommorow morning are forecast to be in the upper 30 so it better be preipitation pretty hard. Light precipitation and temps that warm usually don't work.

Archived