Hurricane Sandy thread

usedtobe

oh hai

BULLETIN

HURRICANE SANDY ADVISORY NUMBER 28

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL182012

500 AM EDT MON OCT 29 2012

...SANDY STRENGTHENS...EXPECTED TO BRING LIFE-THREATENING STORM

SURGE...COASTAL HURRICANE WINDS AND HEAVY APPALACHIAN SNOWS...

SUMMARY OF 500 AM EDT...0900 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...35.9N 70.5W

ABOUT 285 MI...460 KM E OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA

ABOUT 385 MI...615 KM SSE OF NEW YORK CITY

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...140 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 360 DEGREES AT 15 MPH...24 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...946 MB...27.94 INCHES

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like this evening peak winds and then a lull. 100kts at 850 over DCA at 00z. Probably a 6hr period of very strong winds.

The weather channel just siad that there was an extrapolated pressure of 941 mb though the official pressure with the storm is 946 so it did strengthen during the night.

It looks like this evening peak winds and then a lull. 100kts at 850 over DCA at 00z. Probably a 6hr period of very strong winds.

I guess the "good news" of a nearby landfall is the possibility of the center being so close we might get a lull. I'd welcome that during the overnight hours.

the only problem is that by that point...the damage may already be done. Would the winds pick up again after the "lull"?

the only problem is that by that point...the damage may already be done. Would the winds pick up again after the "lull"?

I agree with you regarding the damage. I have just not been looking forward to the high wind gusts during the overnight hours tonight. I still expect it's going to be bad though.

I'm sure that your question is directed toward Coastal, but my understanding is that they would pick up again, but with the storm weakening after landfall, any few hours that we can avoid the high winds would be a bonus (as far as I am concerned anyway).

The weather channel just siad that there was an extrapolated pressure of 941 mb though the official pressure with the storm is 946 so it did strengthen during the night.

Yep, this will be a big blow.

KML, I just meant that you guys probably won't see 70mph gusts all night because the 850 and 925 lows should move close by near Midnight. Would think winds increase again from the south towards morning. But this evening looks wild there with heavy rain and everything,

This is given current track. Eastern MD will be windy all night.

KML, I just meant that you guys probably won't see 70mph gusts all night because the 850 and 925 lows should move close by near Midnight. Would think winds increase again from the south towards morning. But this evening looks wild there with heavy rain and everything,

Thanks for the response! Again, cannot stress how much us DC folks appreciate you popping in. What an incredible evolution scientifically. Guess this will be one for the textbooks!

The 850 wind for DCA is 105 kts at 00Z

post-70-0-76569600-1351507145_thumb.png

At my house the 925 mb is 80 and it does look that stable below that level so this will be real deal or so it seems.

post-70-0-61740700-1351507241_thumb.png

I just hope no tree falls on my house.

At my house the 925 mb is 80 and it does look that stable below that level so this will be real deal or so it seems.

That's just unreal. Stay safe down there guys and gals!

Yeah this looks rough for you guys, and I would imagine the eastern shore of MD with warmer waters allow for even greater mixing there. Even if there was a strong inversion, rule of thumb imo is 100kts at 850 will give you strong winds no matter what. 105kts and the ability to mix somewhat like you guys have, that should be wild.

Yeah this looks rough for you guys, and I would imagine the eastern shore of MD with warmer waters allow for even greater mixing there. Even if there was a strong inversion, rule of thumb imo is 100kts at 850 will give you strong winds no matter what. 105kts and the ability to mix somewhat like you guys have, that should be wild.

I've never seen winds like that on a sounding for this area before so it's uncharted territory.

I saw mention of Sting jets in the New England thread a day or two ago and maybe being a possibility with this storm of bringing strong winds down to the surface. To my limited knowledge it looks as if the setup isn't conducive of this but I was wondering the take of any Mets who may have some knowledge on the subject. With those high winds just off the surface it could possibly be a major concern for a limited area.

Archived