CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Hurricane Sandy thread

usedtobe

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So everyone here has been saying that the worst winds will be when the low makes its closest approach to the area in a few hours, but the models all insist the surface winds will die down as the night goes on and the low weakens. Can a met explain that discrepancy? Are the models just not very good at surface winds?

So everyone here has been saying that the worst winds will be when the low makes its closest approach to the area in a few hours, but the models all insist the surface winds will die down as the night goes on and the low weakens. Can a met explain that discrepancy? Are the models just not very good at surface winds?

The next couple hours will be the strongest winds as the heavier showers move through. The models still have strong winds at 925 through 11 PM then they drop off. When we get near the center we might or might not be close enough to to the eye for the winds to weaken and die down. I think there's a good chance of that. Once the storm goes by we'll still have decent gusts...maybe to gusts to 30 to 40 mph as the system will be weakening slowly as it shifts away from the ocean and because vertical with the upper low/trough but that may depend on whether we stay in some heavier showers to help momentum translate the winds down to the surface. Of course the models may also be too slow with the movement of the showers and stronger winds.

Judging from radar hallucinations, it appears that the bands are pivoting somewhere between Baltimore and DC. At least, the orientation seems to be shifting in that manner. Anyone else see what I'm seeing?

I just mentioned this in the Obs/Banter thread. Looks like the rain line stopped near a Kingsville-Westminster line. Looking at Dover's radar, it will probably stay around there and then move back north as the storm moves inland into PA.

there's been a noticeable relaxation of the winds

don't get me wrong, still blowing but constant winds and gust speeds are down

here's hoping the worse is behind us (at least from BWI N & E)

I'm in Federal Hill and I am surprised after a gust about 30 seconds ago did not take the big tree across the street with it.

Archived