joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy thread

usedtobe

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw mention of Sting jets in the New England thread a day or two ago and maybe being a possibility with this storm of bringing strong winds down to the surface. To my limited knowledge it looks as if the setup isn't conducive of this but I was wondering the take of any Mets who may have some knowledge on the subject. With those high winds just off the surface it could possibly be a major concern for a limited area.

I've never heard of a Sting jet. Coastal and I have already discussed the winds a few posts earlier in the thread.

I've never heard of a Sting jet. Coastal and I have already discussed the winds a few posts earlier in the thread.

They were discussing it in the NE thread and I found it pretty interesting. Seems that it is a phenomena found mostly with systems crashing into GB and Europe from the N Atl. Generally I believe it is where the polar jet gets shunted down to the surface on the SE quadrant of an extra-tropical cyclone.

I'm not exactly sure where O'malley gets his info but he just said that the winds will be worse than originally thought. Said instead of gusting to 70-80 now there going to gust to 85-100 mph.

Seems a little high - perhaps on the water this is true. Can't see 100mph in the cities. Maybe 85 I guess. Maybe he has been in touch with NWS and we will see a bump with the new warning packages.

From Tony Pann:

MONDAY UPDATE: The storm is stronger, but it will pass by the Mouth of the Bay then curl up into NJ by this evening. The heavy rain will continue around Baltimore all day...up to 8" in some areas... but the highest winds will be this Afternoon into early Tonight....gusts will be between 40 & 60 MPH at that time. Blizzard warnings are in effect for Western MD!

Seems quite low to me.....

I'm legitimately kind of scared. I live in a basement studio apartment...kinda wondering if the drain on my enclosed porch area will handle the water before it gets to my door. Can't believe she strengthened overnight. Amazing...

Exactly, especially with so little convection near the center. I find it amazing this storm has a pressure in the 940s. For a cat one, that is just nuts and we haven't gotten to the extra-tropical strengthening phase yet. Makes you wonder how low will it go..and of course it will only worsen the storm surge due to the "bulge" underneath and around the center.

Hi...first time posting here but I always come to these forums to follow the threads before big storms. NOAA has been saying that hurricane force winds extend outward of up to 175 miles from center. Based on the approximate point of landfall I created this map using a tool I found online. Does this look correct?

post-5316-0-81702900-1351518920_thumb.jp

Hi...first time posting here but I always come to these forums to follow the threads before big storms. NOAA has been saying that hurricane force winds extend outward of up to 175 miles from center. Based on the approximate point of landfall I created this map using a tool I found online. Does this look correct?

You have to remember that the hurricane force winds might extend 175 from the center... but they are only extending to the southwest of the center... According to the last advisory from the NHC... there was no hurricane force winds north or east of the center.

You have to remember that the hurricane force winds might extend 175 from the center... but they are only extending to the southwest of the center... According to the last advisory from the NHC... there was no hurricane force winds north or east of the center.

092341R_sm.gif

Almost looks like there's not even hurricane-force winds AT the center.

Also, there will be a reduction in winds over land compared to at sea.

Archived