joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy thread

usedtobe

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

? If anything, it looks like a Delaware Bay hit or so. Not that it really matters. We are all getting crushed.

I think it was in jest. :-p Southern New Jersey looks like the eventual "center" landfall. But yea such a large area will be effected by the wind field of this thing.

I know its weenie to exrapolate like this, but satellite sure looks like it is moving more NNW than WNW, and I'm ok with that. I'm probably just seeing what I want. But, as everyone has noted, it isn't going to matter that much in the grand scheme of things with this baby.

You must have Don Cherry's jacket over your eyes then.

More out of curiosity than anything and not that I think it matters a ton at this point as the storm has already started, but since its looking likely it comes in still tropical, would NWS hoist hurricane warnings at this point, or would it just muddle things?

Would just muddle things...

Great... 11 am HLS from LWX in SPS form says tht hurricane force wind gusts to 70 mph expected with possible gusts to 80 mph in a region including DCA and BAL...

And increases in rain totals... worst time windwise expected to be 6pm tonight to 6am Tues when all our power will go out and we play a game called pop goes your power

And increases in rain totals... worst time windwise expected to be 6pm tonight to 6am Tues when all our power will go out and we play a game called pop goes your power

Kind of disappointing in that I'd much prefer to have the highest winds during the day when we can actually see things happening.

I still hold out hope that power outages will be less than expected. I have a good feeling about that.

Here's my opinion. Who, beyond this board, cares that it comes in as a "tropical" system or not? What difference does it make to the people the NWS is supposed to forecast for? If the storm is going to produce a hurricane-like wind field and hurricane-like storm surge, who cares if it's not a tropical system at landfall? Just issue the warning.

CHANGES SINCE LAST LOCAL STATEMENT

----------------------------------

* THE TIMING OF THE PEAK WINDS FROM SANDY ARE NOW EXPECTED FROM

LATE THIS AFTERNOON TO DAYBREAK ON WEDNESDAY.

* RAINFALL AMOUNTS HAVE BEEN INCREASED. THE GREATER BALTIMORE

METRO AREA IS NOW FORECAST TO RECEIVE 8 TO 12 INCHES OF

RAIN...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS.

* THE POTOMAC RIVER IS LIKELY TO GO INTO FLOOD STAGE BEGINNING

AROUND WEDNESDAY AND LASTING THROUGH FRIDAY.

HURRICANE FORCE WIND GUSTS OF 70 AND POSSIBLY 80 MPH ARE

EXPECTED TO IMPACT A REGION LOCATED BETWEEN BEL AIR MD...POINT

LOOKOUT MD...AND HAGERSTOWN MD BETWEEN 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 AM

TUESDAY. THIS INCLUDES THE GREATER BALTIMORE AND WASHINGTON

METROPOLITAN AREAS.

Like Yoda said, this was updated too...

RAINFALL AND FLOODING

---------------------

* 8 TO 12 INCHES OF RAIN IN NORTHEAST AND NORTH CENTRAL MD

INCLUDING THE BALTIMORE METRO AREA AND ALONG THE WEST SHORE OF

THE BAY.

* 5 TO 10 INCHES OF RAIN IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE FREDERICK...

WASHINGTON AND FREDERICKSBURG METRO AREAS.

* 3 TO 6 INCHES OF RAIN IS EXPECTED FOR EASTERN WEST VIRGINIA AND

VIRGINIA...WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE DC METRO COUNTIES...AS WELL

AS WESTERN MARYLAND WEST OF HANCOCK MD.

* THIS AMOUNT OF RAIN WILL LIKELY RESULT IN EXTENSIVE AND DANGEROUS

FLOODING OF LOCAL STREAMS AND CREEKS STARTING THIS AFTERNOON AND

LASTING INTO WEDNESDAY.

SmartCast Update 29/15Z-30/15Z

Groton, Bridgeport, Long Island, JFK, Atlantic City, Nantucket will see potential for the strongest wind fields of 60-80MPH over the next 6-12 Hours.

La Guardia Region: Winds will be NE at 35-45MPH with Gusts between 55-60MPH through next 24 hours. Mdt-Heavy rain throughout the day. Max 24-hour precip accumulation will be 1.72”, Max wind gust will be 59MPH.

Newark Region: Winds will be NE at 35-40MPH with Gusts between 50-55MPH. Moderate to Heavy rainfall throughout the day. Average rainfall rates will be around .15” per hour. Max 24-Hour precip accumulation will be 2.01”, Max wind gust will be 52MPH.

Nantucket Region: Winds will be NE at 50-55MPH with gusts 70-80MPH. Max wind gust will be 80MPH.

BWI Region: Winds will be WNW at 35-40MPH, with gusts between 50-55MPH. Rainfall rates of .42” per hour from 15Z-22Z, then down to .20” per hour til 30/15Z. 24-Hour Precip accumulation will be 4.85”, Max wind gust of 52MPH.

DC/Dover/Andrews/Langley Region: Winds will be 35-40MPH with gusts up to 55-60MPH. Rainfall rates around .46” per hour through 19Z, then .30” per hour through 04Z. 24-Hour Precip Accumulation around 4.2 to 4.85”, Max wind gusts of 62MPH.

Long Island Region: Winds will be 40-45MPH with gusts up to 60-65MPH. Max wind gust expected is around 65MPH.

Full output hour by hour uploaded: http://smartwxmodel.net/update.htm

Archived