CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Hurricane Sandy thread

usedtobe

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies if this was already posted but the 12z HWRF landfalls at ~934 mb...and it initialized the current pressure much better than other models.

Borrowed this from the sne thread. There is additional discussion related to a landfall in the 940's. I've been wondering about why the globals appear to have central pressure higher than what it is currently but I don't know enough about model mechanics to offer any explanation.

A bit low on current winds.

IAN and anyone else, preferably pro-forecasters and mets: The EURO seems to be consensus now with Sandy into Marcus Hook and then by Wed. south of York before resuming north.

GFS stalls Sandy near Martainsburg.

How would you weight these to get a verifiable-likely average?

Thinking EURO 80% and GFS 20%. Others?

Borrowed this from the sne thread. There is additional discussion related to a landfall in the 940's. I've been wondering about why the globals appear to have central pressure higher than what it is currently but I don't know enough about model mechanics to offer any explanation.

Perhaps the models are silent on the behavior of a cyclone with rapidly cooling center as it

crosses the baroclinic zone and then sequentially experiences a vorticity transfer as the shortwave

trough to the west tilts negatively a tad and energizes are brief opportunity for strengthening before

landfall.

Strange to see a system increase in strength as the core chills by 24*C.

Mount Holly isn't playing games anymore. If you read only 1 paragraph ... make it point number 3

NOUS41 KPHI 281841

PNSPHI

DEZ001>004-MDZ008-012-015-019-020-NJZ001-007>010-012>027-PAZ054-

055-060>062-067>071-291200-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

241 PM EDT SUN OCT 28 2012

...AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM TO IMPACT THE AREA...

SANDY IS EXPECTED TO SLAM INTO THE NEW JERSEY COAST LATER MONDAY

NIGHT, BRINGING VERY HEAVY RAIN AND DAMAGING WINDS TO THE REGION.

THE STORM IS A LARGE ONE, THEREFORE DO NOT FOCUS ON THE EXACT CENTER

OF THE STORM AS ALL AREAS WILL HAVE SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS.

THIS HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE AN HISTORIC STORM, WITH WIDESPREAD WIND

DAMAGE AND POWER OUTAGES, INLAND AND COASTAL FLOODING, AND MASSIVE

BEACH EROSION. THE COMBINATION OF THE HEAVY RAIN AND PROLONGED WIND

WILL CREATE THE POTENTIAL FOR LONG LASTING POWER OUTAGES AND SERIOUS

FLOODING.

PREPARATIONS SHOULD BE WRAPPING UP AS CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO

WORSEN TONIGHT AND ESPECIALLY ON MONDAY.

SOME IMPORTANT NOTES...

1. IF YOU ARE BEING ASKED TO EVACUATE A COASTAL LOCATION BY STATE

AND LOCAL OFFICIALS, PLEASE DO SO.

2. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT TO EVACUATE, AND YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO RODE

OUT THE `62 STORM ON THE BARRIER ISLANDS, ASK THEM IF THEY COULD DO

IT AGAIN.

3. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT, THINK ABOUT YOUR LOVED ONES, THINK ABOUT

THE EMERGENCY RESPONDERS WHO WILL BE UNABLE TO REACH YOU WHEN YOU

MAKE THE PANICKED PHONE CALL TO BE RESCUED, THINK ABOUT THE

RESCUE/RECOVERY TEAMS WHO WILL RESCUE YOU IF YOU ARE INJURED OR

RECOVER YOUR REMAINS IF YOU DO NOT SURVIVE.

4. SANDY IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM. THERE WILL BE MAJOR

PROPERTY DAMAGE, INJURIES ARE PROBABLY UNAVOIDABLE, BUT THE GOAL IS

ZERO FATALITIES.

5. IF YOU THINK THE STORM IS OVER-HYPED AND EXAGGERATED, PLEASE ERR

ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION.

WE WISH EVERYONE IN HARMS WAY ALL THE BEST. STAY SAFE!

$$

NWS MOUNT HOLLY, NJ

Thanks, Looks like all the models are in pretty close agreement. Does the Euro that you have give you 85o or 900 mb winds? I guess I'm aksing if it has winds similar to the GFS since the nam winds are a little weaker.

Max 925mb winds I see over DC is 55 kts at 00z Tuesday in the Euro vs. 75 kts 21-00z in the GFS.

Ian, I keep seeing that in the models and model discussion. Is that because of the interaction with the trough? Seems odd that it would be more windy there than here otherwise...

It does seem there is a consistent max somewhere in between the eastern edge of the Apps and the DC/Balt area. Asked about it earlier if it was all storm induced or some terrain influence as well. I do think coastal areas will still max higher than us but maybe not. Less friction etc though so it seems they would.

It looks pretty darn good this afternoon.. inner core has rebuilt a good bit. I wonder what happens if it doesn't ET transition fully. I won't join on the NHC bashing but it is weird to have "the biggest storm ever" and no warnings from them north of NC. Will we be able to call it the great hurricane of 2012?

post-1615-0-99450400-1351454913_thumb.jp

It looks pretty darn good this afternoon.. inner core has rebuilt a good bit. I wonder what happens if it doesn't ET transition fully. I won't join on the NHC bashing but it is weird to have "the biggest storm ever" and no warnings from them north of NC. Will we be able to call it the great hurricane of 2012?

It would be kind of funny if it stayed fairly tropical and they had to hoist warnings. :lol:

20Z My SmartCast Update

Dover AFB Region: Winds picking up to 35-40MPH Gusts from 00Z to 09Z, then increasing to 40-50MPH from 10Z through 20Z. Peak Gust will be around 52MPH. Heavy rain will begin around 12Z with average rainfall rates of .36” per hour through 20Z. 24-Hour total rain accumulation will be 4.03”.

Atlantic City Region: Winds picking up to 35-40MPH to 01Z, then increasing to 40-50mph through 29/20Z. Peak wind gusts around 52MPH. Heavy Rain will begin around 11Z, with the heavies precip rolling in around 14Z, with average rainfall rates of .30” per hour. 24-Hour total rain accumulation of 3.31”.

BWI Region: Steady winds gusting to 30MPH through 13Z, then increasing to gusts of 40-45MPH through 20Z. Light to Moderate rain through 13Z, then Heavy Rain moves in with rainfall rates of .37” per hour through 20Z. In addition, visibilities will be 1-2 miles after 14Z with heavy rain and fog.

Langley/Andrews/Philly/Oceana regions. Tracking continuous strong winds of between 44 and 51MPH through 20Z, heavy rainfall with average precip rates of .33” per hour. Current estimated of additional rainfall for the next 24 hours is between 2 and 3”.

IN ADDITION...HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS ARE EXPECTED ALONG PORTIONS OF

THE COAST BETWEEN CHINCOTEAGUE VIRGINIA AND CHATHAM MASSACHUSETTS.

THIS INCLUDES THE TIDAL POTOMAC FROM COBB ISLAND TO SMITH POINT...

THE MIDDLE AND UPPER CHESAPEAKE BAY...DELAWARE BAY...AND THE COASTS

OF THE NORTHERN DELMARVA PENINSULA...NEW JERSEY...THE NEW YORK CITY

AREA...LONG ISLAND...CONNECTICUT...AND RHODE ISLAND.

Archived