joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy thread

usedtobe

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that sustained? I forget as I rarely look at the mos winds.

Yeah. GFS MOS was as high as 35 at JYO last night. I mean, you don't see sustained that high almost ever but I have seen it once or twice.

Yeah. GFS MOS was as high as 35 at JYO last night. I mean, you don't see sustained that high almost ever but I have seen it once or twice.

Being a statistical model based on the GFS and NAM model parameter relationships to (historical) observations, MOS cannot usually be expected to highlight extreme events because the sample size would not capture a large number of such instances. Essentially, it will trend toward climatology, especially as you go out farther in forecast time. That said, 30-35kt sustained winds is pretty impressive, for a MOS forecast. I wonder what it's got for gusts/max wind.

I will be saving this image... because who knows when we will see it again? 5% to 10% chance DCA/IAD see sustained hurricane force winds per NHC 11am... BWI in 10-20% range

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT18/refresh/AL1812_PROB64_F120+gif/152346.gif

Yoda, Hurricane Force Wind Warning in the bay, maybe bay bordering counties could get one.

If I remember the definition correctly, a 24mb drop in 24 hours classifies as a "bomb"...or 1 mb per hour. Dropping 9mb in 10 hours is pretty close, though over a shorter (10h) time period.

Rapid intensification has a differen definition.. Think it's 30 in 24 hrs tho that goes back to the whole tropical or not debate.

RE: Hurricane Force Wind Warning in the Bay per LWX AFD

.MARINE...

STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT OVER THE TIDAL POTOMAC. MARYLAND

CHESAPEAKE BAY HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO A HURRICANCE FORCE WIND

WARNING. GUSTS ARE ALREADY NEAR 30 KT...INCREASING THROUGH THE

AFTERNOON/NIGHT. GUSTS 50-60 KT ARE EXPECTED LATE TONIGHT/MONDAY

POSSIBLY CONTINUING INTO TUESDAY. THERE MAY BE A PERIOD OF 65

KNOTS OVER THE MARYLAND CHESAPEAKE BAY MONDAY/MONDAY NIGHT.

Rapid intensification has a differen definition.. Think it's 30 in 24 hrs tho that goes back to the whole tropical or not debate.

Yeah, technically when talking about an extratropical bomb, it's 24mb/24h, and even more technically that is for 60 degrees latitude (so there's usually an adjustment for that). But "rapid intensification" can use an hourly rate over a shorter time frame. The tropical/non-tropical issue of course may complicate that.

Being a statistical model based on the GFS and NAM model parameter relationships to (historical) observations, MOS cannot usually be expected to highlight extreme events because the sample size would not capture a large number of such instances. Essentially, it will trend toward climatology, especially as you go out farther in forecast time. That said, 30-35kt sustained winds is pretty impressive, for a MOS forecast. I wonder what it's got for gusts/max wind.

Good point

Jason's latest CWG discussion on the event. There is a modeled forecast of power outages. I think the gusts mentioned for us may be a little high but with so much rain, it probably won't matter that much as the wet ground and wind will result in uprooted trees.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/cause-for-concern-the-7-most-alarming-hurricane-sandy-images/2012/10/28/615bbbfe-210b-11e2-ac85-e669876c6a24_blog.html#pagebreak

Archived