joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy thread

usedtobe

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that's probably right though as it approaches and leaves, we'll still get plenty of winds. It also depends on the stability some and the closer we get to the storm and the heavier the showers, the better chance I think of transporting the winds to the surface but.....I'm no expert on it.

Looking at the ILM obs yesterday definitely showed the heavy rains in the outer bands brought down the highest winds. They hit 50+mph just to the west with tree damage.

Winds are not far off the surface at all so I think it's pretty safe to assume that 80% of 925mb winds can easily make it down during the heavy rain. I'm honestly pretty nervous. I have 8 60+' trees in my backyard that are all within reach of my house...and they are NW of my house. My tulip poplars are the weakest type but they have been topped by the 2009 event but still.

Looking at the ILM obs yesterday definitely showed the heavy rains in the outer bands brought down the highest winds. They hit 50+mph just to the west with tree damage.

Winds are not far off the surface at all so I think it's pretty safe to assume that 80% of 925mb winds can easily make it down during the heavy rain. I'm honestly pretty nervous. I have 8 60+' trees in my backyard that are all within reach of my house...and they are NW of my house. My tulip poplars are the weakest type but they have been topped by the 2009 event but still.

I'm in the same boat. My wife was thinking we should go to hotel or sit in a parking lot in our car to ride it out during the worst of it. She's a worrier.

Some of the bands in eastern NC have parked themselves at times with heavy rates. There are going to be localized areas that really get it good. Just like when the bands set up in winter but worse.

The totals in western extent would be the hardest to predict. Models never do well with banding structure and western extent.

We've got an 80-90' beech in our neighbors' yard (to the SE), one of almost the same height on the other side (NW neighbor) and multiple oaks and maples up to 90' scattered 180* from SE to NW. I'm not in the best of locations!

We've got an 80-90' beech in our neighbors' yard (to the SE), one of almost the same height on the other side (NW neighbor) and multiple oaks and maples up to 90' scattered 180* from SE to NW. I'm not in the best of locations!

I'm surrounded by large trees especially on the west and north sides so I'm in the same boat.

I strongly recommend not driving around. I'm pretty much 100% certain someone will be killed by a falling tree while driving around unnecessarily.

I almost got my dumb ass killed during the July 2009 storm when a branch came through my roof in my dining room. It stopped less than 6 inches from my head. Sounded like a gunshot and showered me with drywall and insulation. I chose to stand by the glass door to watch while my family was safe in my lower level family room. I've replayed that in my mind literally 1000's of times. I will NEVER put myself in harms way again unless it is absolutely necessary.

Wow ! I know what you mean. My neighbor had just got out of bed to go to work when a thunderstorm dropped a tree into his house and crushed his bed ! Now that was one good day to go to work ! No sooner then he pulled out of driveway, he was called back to house to see what and how close he was to being taken out. That pine tree literally split the house in half. Trees are no joke !

About to hop in the shower, big windmaker?

Not much change from previous. The wildcard is the surface. Things are screaming off the surface. That's a lock. It sure looks like a helluva lot of wind here for 12+/- hours. Best wag is most all of us see 60+mph gusts for a time. And then I keep replaying the derecho in my mind...

Archived