Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Hurricane Sandy

Ginx snewx

I believe this has updated

I will be curious to see how a storm moving northward and then northeastward - then turns west - impacts storm surge.

If a system coming up through the Gulf of Mexico moves due north into Mississippi - has plenty of time to pile up water - doesn't turn left or right - then I assume the storm surge would be worse.

The wind field around Sandy is so large - pressure potentially so low - the ocean action must be incredible (well away from the storm). But - for storm surge itself - I wonder how a sharp left turn would change momentum of the storm surge.

Also wondering just how high water could rise in the New York City area. Most of us on this forum were worried last year when they evacuated large areas that ended up not having too many problems. Will people listen this time around. I was in Europe when that storm hit - I remember many of us thought the amount of news coverage was insane (call it hype or whatever you want to call it). Granted some areas had major damage.

post-77-0-70945100-1351354420_thumb.png

They still haven't figured out how to bicubically interpolate the points so it can connect them with arcs instread of lines. Landfall a bit northof where extrapolation sugests.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EDIT: IF euro is down with the GFS cluster....fine. If the EURO is NE, obviously toss the GFS/NAM. JMHO

It really is sort of funny how yesterday everyone was humping the GFS because it was north and tossing the EC. Now the GFS goes south and we toss it too. I know it's not necessarily wishcasting but some are just taking whatever solution ends up at Long Island or SNE.

I can't wait for snowstorms and model hugging.

D

What are you talking about? The GFS, nam and euro are all s hawing central NJ landfall. Stop wish casting to north. Give some reasoning or take it to banter.

B the way, red taggers on here are doing a remarkable job.

Reading comprehension FTL. There's nothing from the 12z suite that isn't an American model...including the NAM which is a model DT hates that supports the SNJ hit. that's just the facts, doesn't need to be in banter. The 12z Euro will be along in the next 90 minutes.

The 0z Euro was essentially dead on at 12h today. But that wasn't the point anyway was it?

I would cream just to see something like this in my lifetime. It's amazing to see how steadfast the NHC track has been. Interesting times ahead.

If this goes into SNJ then huge props to the NHC. They have had a south track for days. Much less waffling back and forth than some on here where we pick a different favorite couple models every 6-12 hours.

It really is sort of funny how yesterday everyone was humping the GFS because it was north and tossing the EC. Now the GFS goes south and we toss it too. I know it's not necessarily wishcasting but some are just taking whatever solution ends up at Long Island or SNE.

I can't wait for snowstorms and model hugging.

I consider DT a friend so...wasn't about that at all. All I was saying is subjectively looking at it with just the new runs...most are pretty far NE. The Euro was dead on at 12h today from the 0z run. About as good as it gets. Much better than the others. The GFS init'd over the top of the 12h Euro forecast and adjusted south. That would make you think that the Euro was on the right track. But we'll see.

NOGAPs is the worst and it's up near here. I'd still like the NYC/NNJ area if I had to bet right before the Euro. If the Euro is south still bravo.

Re: my questions on the pressure discrepancy between pretty much all the models (including hi-res models) vs. the deeper readings we are already seeing, some thoughts on the main forum:

Current SLP readings from Sandy are considerably lower than the vast majority of the models. The HWRF is the only one I've seen that's spot on and it has a 935mb landfall via gradual deepening. It does have a landfall that's quite far north, though.

Looks like the global's 950mb landfall values are underdone, given the current SLP of 959mb. If they're off on the pressure, they'll be significantly off on the winds as well.

Uncharted territory indeed. This is why I got into meteorology. Mother Nature's ability to throw curveballs never ceases to amaze.

This is very true. But even among the high-res models, this still holds. None of the SREF members are really that close (>10mb off) and I still can't find any high-res models (again besides the HWRF) that are close. Even the normally overzealous GFDL is significantly higher (granted we're not dealing with a pure TC anymore).

Any other thoughts? I'd think this discrepancy should have a very big impact on sensible weather in the hours prior to landfall.

I believe this has updated

I will be curious to see how a storm moving northward and then northeastward - then turns west - impacts storm surge.

If a system coming up through the Gulf of Mexico moves due north into Mississippi - has plenty of time to pile up water - doesn't turn left or right - then I assume the storm surge would be worse.

The wind field around Sandy is so large - pressure potentially so low - the ocean action must be incredible (well away from the storm). But - for storm surge itself - I wonder how a sharp left turn would change momentum of the storm surge.

Also wondering just how high water could rise in the New York City area. Most of us on this forum were worried last year when they evacuated large areas that ended up not having too many problems. Will people listen this time around. I was in Europe when that storm hit - I remember many of us thought the amount of news coverage was insane (call it hype or whatever you want to call it). Granted some areas had major damage.

post-77-0-70945100-1351354420_thumb.png

Beau

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/etsurge/index.php?page=text&list=ec

Reading comprehension FTL. There's nothing from the 12z suite that isn't an American model...including the NAM which is a model DT hates that supports the SNJ hit. that's just the facts, doesn't need to be in banter. The 12z Euro will be along in the next 90 minutes.

The 0z Euro was essentially dead on at 12h today. But that wasn't the point anyway was it?

Yea, I suck on the iPad at typing.

My point was you were saying everything but ncep guidamce targeted LI so far today. I said the nam, GFS and euro (0z) still concentrated towards C NJ. The GFS ticked south. Some of the clustered models ticked north From SNJ towards CNJ, but that's normal model waffling within this time frame.

Yes, the nogaps and Canadian went NE, but those are 2 biasedly progressive models out there.the nogaps did a wonderful job in the long term telling us that the ots solution the GFS was showing was wrong when it was in the euro camp.

I'm in no way shape or form saying his cant come towards Long Island. I will say the window for it is closing.m

I believe it's typhoon tip saying the longer the recurve, it could trend north , and that could be a wild card.

LONG TERM /SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY/...

NOON UPDATE...

SUN AFTN HEADLINES...

* AFTER REVIEWING 12Z NAM AND GFS WE WILL LIKELY HOIST HIGH WIND

WATCHES THIS AFTERNOON FOR MON AND MON NIGHT FOR A LARGE PORTION

OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND.

* COASTAL FLOOD WATCH WILL LIKELY BE ISSUED THIS AFTERNOON FOR

MON/MON NIGHT FOR BOTH COASTS...ALL OF RI AND MA.

* FOR THE COASTAL WATERS STORM WATCHES WILL BE HOISTED THIS

AFTERNOON FOR MON/MON NIGHT. MORE LATER. THANKS FOR YOUR

PATIENCE. PREVIOUS DISCUSSION BELOW.

Re: my questions on the pressure discrepancy between pretty much all the models (including hi-res models) vs. the deeper readings we are already seeing, some thoughts on the main forum:

Any other thoughts? I'd think this discrepancy should have a very big impact on sensible weather in the hours prior to landfall.

Well didn't somebody say the GFS was 936 at landfall? Hard to go any lower than that...

NOGAPs is the worst and it's up near here. I'd still like the NYC/NNJ area if I had to bet right before the Euro. If the Euro is south still bravo.

i dont care if the euro is ACY the next two runs, i wouldn't stop watching the track of this thing messenger

this is a historically rare set up and with possible initial phasing resistance being POORLY modeled as AFD's have stated, dont take your eye off where this is on the satelite loops till tuesday.

you see how she looks on visible today. a true frankenstorm , a monster that could only be cook'd up by the KFS

It's amazing how weenies are looking at this and analyzing like its a winter system. Different animal here. I lived through Hazel's 100+ gusts hundreds of miles northeast of lf.

Exactly. Look at the progs. A landfall in NJ will affect DC to BOS. Only if the storm goes to some extreme like SE MA or the Virginia Capes will one region or another see lessened effects.

I am going to address Beaus' surge question by using the GHM nested and full 06 hurricane model. This also addresses the way south landfall and the strongest winds well North. First look at the fetch on the wind all the way to the Central Atlantic, ~2000 miles , second look at the wind barbs in the LI sound LI area into NY NJ, can not see the barbs in SNE on the nested. Notice the wind speed difference. The LLJ and the spreading out of this storm is incredible. Bad news for SNE NJ NYC if this hits CNJ. That fetch is long and very strong for a couple of tide cycles. Bridgeport surge is already predicted to be 7 feet, and that does not include wave action, 2-3 hi tide cycles effected. Going to be a disaster.

why?

Because they are probably issued 3-6 times a year out here and pack nowhere near the impact of having a hurricane warning issued. Personally it doesn't matter to me because I know what's coming but there are actual things / decisions that are set in motion (be it correct or not) when a hurricane warning is posted.

Well didn't somebody say the GFS was 936 at landfall? Hard to go any lower than that...

Someone did. Others (Amped, weatherMA) posted 952 and 948 at landfall.

Readings I gathered:

Landfall pressures:

12Z NAM ~955mb

6Z NAM ~950mb

12Z GFS ~947mb

6Z GFS ~950mb

Latest VDM (below) is extrap 960, and we are still >48hrs from landfall. Again, not trying to be a weenie, I'm just trying to understand the discrepancy and what it means. CSNavy and Turtlehurricane have raised the same question in the main thread.

URNT12 KNHC 271655

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL182012

A. 27/15:37:40Z

B. 29 deg 18 min N

075 deg 44 min W

C. 850 mb 1071 m

D. 40 kt

E. 064 deg 22 nm

F. 154 deg 52 kt

G. 066 deg 35 nm

H. EXTRAP 960 mb

I. 17 C / 1525 m

J. 24 C / 1532 m

K. 18 C / NA

L. NA

M. NA

N. 12345 / 8

O. 0.02 / 2 nm

P. AF302 1518A SANDY OB 14

MAX OUTBOUND AND MAX FL WIND 71 KT SW QUAD 16:11:00Z

SLP EXTRAP FROM 850 MB

SPIRAL BAND TSTMS NW SIDE OF CENTER

SONDE DATA UNAVAILABLE

;

Because they are probably issued 3-6 times a year out here and pack nowhere near the impact of having a hurricane warning issued. Personally it doesn't matter to me because I know what's coming but there are actual things / decisions that are set in motion (be it correct or not) when a hurricane warning is posted.

oh yeah i thought you were referring to that. for a second I thought you meant it wouldn't verify lol. I agree with you

Archived