Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Hurricane Sandy

Ginx snewx

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny that is not how I interpret that discussion

Me neither.. He admits that NHC warnings are taken 'more seriously' so why would they up and switch to the warnings taken 'less seriously'? It doesnt make any sense.. Also, he states hes 'avoiding the confusing switch to Non Tropical warnings....'. I dont know how else to take that!

Me neither.. He admits that NHC warnings are taken 'more seriously' so why would they up and switch to the warnings taken 'less seriously'? It doesnt make any sense.. Also, he states hes 'avoiding the confusing switch to Non Tropical warnings....'. I dont know how else to take that!

no Michael Meadows said that NHC warnings are taken serious, the director said we are avoiding the switch.....

The call was made so they don't issue hurricane watches now... only to have to take them down once the storm becomes extratropical. That's what he was saying in that tweet.

That language was actually the tweet to which he was responding.

URNT12 KNHC 271746 CCA

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL182012

A. 27/17:24:30Z

B. 29 deg 38 min N

075 deg 35 min W

C. 850 mb 1082 m

D. 48 kt

E. 121 deg 39 nm

F. 218 deg 67 kt

G. 121 deg 44 nm

H. 962 mb

I. 17 C / 1524 m

J. 20 C / 1527 m

K. 19 C / NA

L. NA

M. NA

N. 12345 / 8

O. 0.02 / 5 nm

P. AF302 1518A SANDY OB 17 CCA

MAX FL WIND 72 KT SW QUAD 16:13:00Z

MAX FL TEMP 21 C 124 / 16 NM FROM FL CNTR

RAGGED TSTMS NW

;

Imagine the eye moving over BDR and Joe posting during it.

"Just cleared out...warm and sunny with a light breeze. Pulling out the oysters as I type. +15 on the day. BSE2 rolls on"

That sounds wonderful, however we are looking at a catastrophic surge here so that wont happen. This is truly the endless summer, disgusting out, oil burners sitting dormant all fall, unbelievable!

That language was actually the tweet to which he was responding. The person making that tweet had copied himself on the tweet.

Yup. Think of it like this

Other person: Why aren't there hurricane warnings issued for the coast? NHC warnings are taken more seriously.

Knabb: "The NHC is not issuing any more watches/warnings to avoid the confusing switch to non-tropical warnings that would have to follow later"

The call was made so they don't issue hurricane watches now... only to have to take them down once the storm becomes extratropical. That's what he was saying in that tweet.

Whoops. My bad.. . That sounds like a valid point, but still begs the question about initial preparedness relative to non tropical warnings, etc, as youve been saying.

Yup. Think of it like this

Other person: Why aren't there hurricane warnings issued for the coast? NHC warnings are taken more seriously.

Knabb: "The NHC is not issuing any more watches/warnings to avoid the confusing switch to non-tropical warnings that would have to follow later"

so instead of having confusion we settle for this being taken less serious

I dunno - I got some red flag beefs with this thing...

-- When was it determined that models were "really good" at handling phasing scenarios ? Moreover, the answer to that question - being obviously not yet - should include consideration presently.

-- Perhaps related to the point above, the fact that we are only 48-60 hours from that real interplay of streams and you have (granted) less reliable runs not tucking this into the MA so abruptly, yet these runs actually make more intuitive sense here... So which is it? Do you go with the more reliable runs that don't look very Meteorologically sound, or do you go with the less reliable cluster that do?

This is an intense scenario over all - it kind of reminds me of a microcosm (timing-wise) of a middle range phased scenario, just packed into a 12-24 hour period; how many times have we seen a given middle range wet dream of a phased big come into nearer terms more sheared.

Archived