Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy

Ginx snewx

Depends on the day.

I think all of this deserves criticism, however.

I think you have a habit of not offering constructive criticsm of certain policies..."well this just wrong" okay. As a meteorologist, you damn well know about the difficulty of bridging scientific correctness and public awareness. It's almost impossible. You change one thing and you create another problem.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sandy appears to have a tilted cdo right now - yet, from the bigger perspective looks just like a deeply wrapped up ET cyclone ...simultaneously. Nice! I'm certain this is still warm core, though.

Of the models I've seen over the last 24 hours, bar none the 00z UKMET was the most potentially destructive to the LI Sound/NY Bite area, and the Jersey coast. It's slightly wider right turn before capture, then appearance of a 12 hour rapid acceleration due west from approximately a mere 50 miles S of the Massachusett's Islands, is like a cosmic-scaled front end loader plowing up a bow wave of Atlantic and delivering right into those topographical focal points.

Dead meat.

This will be a fantastic now-cast opportunity. You could pretty much take your complete Dynamics curriculum and compress it into the next 3.5 days of observations.

I think it is possible the Euro is too far S, while the UKMET's wide right perfect scenario to incur Kevinian -like wrath is also correctable. I kind of like the NAM's mean across the last 2 or 3 cycles. All the necessary influential dynamical players are securely into the NAM's grid, and whether we collectively want to admit this or not, the NAM's performance does improve substantially when that is the case. Eat me.

So, with that, I think a general capture with uncertainty as to asymmetric transmutation rates will just have to be observed, and that the fluid dynamical steering would tend to be somewhere between central and N NJ. Much of this event will likely be the topic of papers to come, no question a thesis or two will be born of this.

Highest wind is difficult to pin-point because as Baroclinic-instability and I were discussing last night there are some odd-ball signatures that try to bring down "sting" like jetlets around the northern periphery of the cyclone. The other aspect is isallobarics are heightened - with the downward acceleration in the PP there can be interesting wind pulses.

Just an observation: from the lines at the gas stations and the amount of people filling up 5 gallon jugs a lot of people are preparing if this does move to a farther north LF. Great conversations in this thread as always everyone.

My local gas stations had some open slots a few minutes ago. Only noticed one out of ~10 guys there filling a 5 gal.

Here in Eastern CT the 3 gas stations in my town have been banged out since I first drove by at 7...many filling gas cans (as I was). So there are a good amount of people taking precautions.

All the gas stations are loaded with people filling up cans down here in Niantic, all the boats being pulled out of the water as well.

Archived