gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Sandy/EC Discussion Part IV

andyhb

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone comment on timing of ET transition and model verification: looks like it started earlier than thought overnight... when did Euro vs. GGEM vs. GFS model this, and would this earlier transition favor the Euro's more south track? Would we expect any shifts in the 12Z suite if they incorporate the look of Sandy this morning?

Also, NHC has this a "Cat 1 hurricane" through landfall > 48 hour away... is that realistic or just for the sake of public awareness?

The GFS is really the 2nd best global model we have....Ukie perhaps is better, but that is a point of debate in terms of its usefulness for our area. It technically scores a bit higher, but it often is totally out to lunch on the big storms which is where we want models to perform their best.

That said, Euro is still by far the best model so its hard not to put a lot of weight on it.

Yeah I really have no problem with the GFS... can't comment on the UKie because I don't really use that one much.

Just let the record show that Blizz thinks, "the American models are the way to go here."

The GFS is really the 2nd best global model we have....Ukie perhaps is better, but that is a point of debate in terms of its usefulness for our area. It technically scores a bit higher, but it often is totally out to lunch on the big storms which is where we want models to perform their best.

That said, Euro is still by far the best model so its hard not to put a lot of weight on it.

Yep I wouldn't bet against euro. Consistent and most accurate period.

Does Tolland downslope on east winds? Blizz may actually downslope his way to hurricane wind speeds.

From BTV...they are obviously very concerned with the west slope downslope wind scenario as wind speeds from 4,000ft+ summits fully mix to the surface in the eastern Champlain Valley and Burlington suburbs.

AT THIS TIME...FAVORABLE SOUTHEAST DOWNSLOPE WINDS

SHOULD DEVELOP AND ENHANCE THE POTENTIAL FOR STRONG WINDS ALONG

THE WEST SLOPES OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS. HOWEVER...WHAT IS BEING

WATCHED IS A MORE NORTHWARD TRACK OF SANDY BECAUSE THAT WOULD SET

UP A MUCH LARGER WIND THREAT...BOTH IN MAGNITUDE AND AREAL

COVERAGE OVER THE AREA. PATTERN WOULD BE COMPARABLE TO THE APRIL

16TH 2007 WINDSTORM THAT BROUGHT DAMAGING WINDS TO A LARGE PART OF

VERMONT. AGAIN...RIGHT NOW BASED ON THE OFFICIAL TRACK OF SANDY

FROM THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AS OF 2AM...THE SOUTHEAST

DOWNSLOPE SCENARIO IS THE ONE TO FOLLOW AND HAVE ADJUSTED GRIDS TO

BRING IN BREEZY TO WINDY CONDITIONS ACROSS THE AREA...BUT WILL

CONTINUE TO MONITOR FOR A MORE NORTHWARD LANDFALL OF SANDY.

I know Andy has mentioned this for the west slope of the Berkshires and Taconics, too... I know everyone is focused on the wind by the coast but if this is anything like strong winter storm circulations, some of the highest wind speeds may be realized up and down the communities on the west side of the Spine. I bet if you list some gusts when this is done, the downslope region will have some toppers... they can get 60-90mph out of nor'easters just by downslope fully mixing to H85 wind speeds.

Yeah I really have no problem with the GFS... can't comment on the UKie because I don't really use that one much.

Just let the record show that Blizz thinks, "the American models are the way to go here."

Always favor the model that has the most extreme solution, lol.

At this point its a very tough forecast. There are reasons you could think the GFS is more correct, but you could also pick some reasons why the Euro will be more correct. Its track record certainly has the upper hand. Though if we recall in Irene...the Euro was bringing the center into Philly at one point about 3 days out. That is something you could point to that makes the easterly track look like a better play...on the flip side, this is a different setup too with a full capture in the PJ and further west solutions could be favored if we believe this full capture will happen swiftly.

I guess you probably could use that same reasoning with the Euro being the southern one?

Well except that the trend has been closer to that solution. However GFS/GEM are more NE....and Ukie. GFS does have a good track record with tropical cyclones, so it's too early to dismiss any camp. Outliers can still be correct, it doesn't mean to dismiss them.

From what I'm reading it appears we should be using the US models for idea of LF. Scary but seems like they have best handle

The king of flipity flop continues to strike fear into the hearts of all.

Pick the model that gives heaviest snow and most damage. This will be a long long winter.

lolz. I wouldn't trade Kev's "analysis" for anything, if just for the humor alone sometimes.

Euro is the best model but NOGAPS is one of the worst and they currently agree. Interesting. I know it's the NAM...but to me it's raising a bigger danger flag up towards LI this run.

Look at some of the hi res models including SREFs. Some have almost an occluded look or elongation of the isobars. It has to do with potential extra-tropical transition and occlusion...as if models are struggling how to handle it in a way.

Although, not sure hi res is even worth looking at, but interesting nonetheless.

Look at some of the hi res models including SREFs. Some have almost an occluded look or elongation of the isobars. It has to do with potential extra-tropical transition and occlusion...as if models are struggling how to handle it in a way.

Although, not sure hi res is even worth looking at, but interesting nonetheless.

I still cannot believe what I'm seeing. I'm just in awe. It seems like we keep getting into situations where we say "once in a lifetime" but it keeps happening with different types of events every several months...tornadoes, blizzards, etc etc.

Look at the NAM solution. This is a nightmare for everyone. I cannot imagine the damage that gets done in LI sound, along the south coast, and east facing beaches.

What still makes me think the Euro is out to lunch is the NOGAPs agreement. When you the best and one of the worst on the same page, makes me wonder about both, JMHO. For giggles only.

nam_namer_081_1000_500_thick.gif

Structure of Sandy dramatically changed since sun up… The mass of deep convection has entirely moved off the low level circulation. That kind of decoupling is never a good sign for TCs, and this is happening well enough prior to the interaction and transition timings, too – not sure what this will mean for the future of this show,but right now Sandy is an exposed llv swirl.

Archived