joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy/EC Discussion Part IV

andyhb

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Radar shows largely anafrontal precipitation especially through the upper midwest, with a wide separation between the leading edge of cold air and the weak convection. Here in Texas dropped 14 degrees in one hour with the middle of the day passage, and currently further north it's 25 degrees in places. Several inches of snow in the front range of Colorado last night from the same air mass.

i don't see any quick strengthening occuring with sandy's displaced surface and flight level centers as reported in the latest recon reports. yes they found 963 mb. This is pretty lop sided , shear is heavy , and it has displaced centers, even if the centers were to stack up, with the high shear, i don't see much strengthening at all occuring in the next 36 hours.

i don't see any quick strengthening occuring with sandy's displaced surface and flight level centers as reported in the latest recon reports. yes they found 963 mb. This is pretty lop sided , shear is heavy , and it has displaced centers, even if the centers were to stack up, with the high shear, i don't see much strengthening at all occuring in the next 36 hours.

Check csnavy's post on one of the threads (getting lost between all of them), he explains what could happen over that timeframe.

I asked this before and didn't see a reply, although does anyone know what the tornado potential from Sandy is? I've heard various sources talk about tornadoes but so far no very reliable source.

Not nearly as much as there would be during the summer, there will be much less CAPE to work with.

Anyone think the solutions that start out weaker may actually end up worse? If the strength peaks too early it will be weakening by landfall.. but if it peaks at 1950 at landfall or possibly lower that would be worst case scenario I think..

I don't know how much of a difference it makes to be honest. I think the fact the synoptic setup favors at least a steady state if not strengthening by landfall is more important.

I did see the NHC actually weakened then strengthened the storm. Unusual but agrees with guidance.

at 78 hrs she is actually slightly NW of 18 z (84 hours) it's ez to see on the alan haufman site when you click on 850 temps/SLP/NA 3rd one down on quick plots! (there is a very cool feature displayed on each 6 hour plot that says "last cycle and 2 cycles ago, respectfully) so you can go then click back and see exactly how it shifted. very neat

by hour 90 she's NE of 18z OP (ok i'm done with updates, don't worry) i'll leave to pro's but that "last cycle option makes it EZ to see exact difference) for those who weren't aware of feature

Archived