wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Sandy/EC Discussion Part IV

andyhb

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We still might get 60 knots gusts "across all of CT" if it made landfall in the Delmarva....I'm just telling you that is not really what the Euro showed.

He was looking at the pro accuwx 10m wind gust product. I think it's a product derived by Accuwx and I'm guessing it is mixing too generously.

The Euro to me... now that I look more closely... looks like a run of the mill nor'easter in SNE as you mentioned Will.

If the Euro track verifies it will be rather meh here in SNE with the potential for severe coastal flooding still in the Sound.

He was looking at the pro accuwx 10m wind gust product. I think it's a product derived by Accuwx and I'm guessing it is mixing too generously.

The Euro to me... now that I look more closely... looks like a run of the mill nor'easter in SNE as you mentioned Will.

If the Euro track verifies it will be rather meh here in SNE with the potential for severe coastal flooding still in the Sound.

I think the Euro ensembles would be a lot worse for us...they take a wider turn which puts it further north. Something is still sitting really uneasy with me about the sharpness of the turn to the left. Its obviously going to turn left, but the magnitude is a bit questionable. This storm starts getting pretty far wide right...even the OP Euro has the storm like 200-300 miles E of HSE at that latitude.

that thing is horrible.

i think we may have a situation where there is actually two wind maxes. one potentially close to the center (though i'm not sure there) and another way removed.

I think the Euro ensembles would be a lot worse for us...they take a wider turn which puts it further north. Something is still sitting really uneasy with me about the sharpness of the turn to the left. Its obviously going to turn left, but the magnitude is a bit questionable. This storm starts getting pretty far wide right...even the OP Euro has the storm like 200-300 miles E of HSE at that latitude.

Agreed. That's what I'm thinking as well.

My gut tells me north even though the models continue to go south. NHC now on the right edge of the 6z tropical models at time of landfall.

Agreed. That's what I'm thinking as well.

My gut tells me north even though the models continue to go south. NHC now on the right edge of the 6z tropical models at time of landfall.

Yeah so little margin for error on the final track based on a small amount of timing with the left hand turn...if we delay this turn just a bit, then we could be talking 150-200 miles difference in landfall spot.

My gut also says north of the OP Euro...maybe somwhere in NJ. Its hard to estimate though...just a slightly less amplified turn and it goes NW into NYC/LI. The Euro literally goes WSW between 84-90 hours.

While I liked a farther north trend... it's hard to argue with the really sizable shift south in the NHC tropical mnodels.

al182012.png

There's always the LBAR to consider.....

On a speculative note--are the models capable of dealing with situations like the highly anomalous nature of the block, idiosynchratic nature of TC's, and the combination of the trough. In other words, are their forecasting abilities compromised as atmospheric parameters expand further from "normal"? I suppose we'll see......

Will we have to worry about any inversions at all?

I'm not sure why we wouldn't. If we didn't have them, we'd be gusting to like 110 mph, lol. If we rip this thing into NNJ and we can dryslot with some breaks of sun, that would probably be the way to maximize winds.

Have to lean on the EURO's consistency. Then factor in the other models. You would get a consensus hit somewhere on the Jersey Shore.

I see a lot of people saying that but a few days ago the Euro was much further north and it's been sliding south. If anything, that slide has been consistent for a while but not the track.

Having said that, I agree that the New Jersey Shore seems like a safe bet at this point. I think the Euro and the NHC track are too far south, but we'll see where today's guidance get's us.

that thing is horrible.

i think we may have a situation where there is actually two wind maxes. one potentially close to the center (though i'm not sure there) and another way removed.

if sandy doesn't have much of a core now, how will it have one up here?

Will be interesting to see how much the storm can reintensify north of NC.

I also wouldn't rule out the storm regaining some convection around the center next 36 hours. Obviously nothing dramatic... but we could see a bit of reorganization.

i could see it regaining some of that as it starts to move parallel to the flow. plus sometimes the hybrid systems act quite tropical very close to the center of the system while the rest of the storm resembles a more typical mid-latitude cyclone. but that's why i said "not sure on that" as i think it's hard to know exactly what the storm structure will be in 24/48 hours.

Also... it's possible if the Euro is right we get a sort of meh amount of rain at least during and preceding the strong winds. In that case, with some leaves off the trees, we'd probably looking at much less tree damage than you'd ordinarily expect with the same amount of wind during a August/September TC.

I'm not sure why we wouldn't. If we didn't have them, we'd be gusting to like 110 mph, lol. If we rip this thing into NNJ and we can dryslot with some breaks of sun, that would probably be the way to maximize winds.

Having inversions aloft will certainly make the wind forecast quite challenging. We've seen how even the skimpiest of inversions can vastly limit the amount of winds which mix down.

That's a great point too about the potential for a dry slot with a track like that...didn't even think of that.

06z GEFS intrl Central NJ or a hair north of that. The tropical models are discouraging and I don't like seeing that and the euro..makes me think south.

However, I think Will and Ryan just said it and we mentioned it yesterday....any little deviation to the right as it turns NW would have big implications due to the geographic layout of the east coast, so that needs to be watched.

Archived