• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Sandy/EC Discussion Part IV

andyhb

It's amazing look at the intensity forecasts for the tropical models... almost all of them show a big tick up in the storm's intensity around 84 hours.

Have never seen that before around here.

That interaction with the trough/Polar Jet and enhancement form the RF/LF jet quadrants are really going to do wonders with Sandy. Watching that process underdo on satellite is going to be amazing.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's clear that Kevin is nervous and preparing himself for a big bust. We know his game... this is how he plays it.

I have a feeling after the 12z runs we'll have a much better idea of what's going to transpire... at least in terms of track.

I sure hope so.

I could see though the euro staying steadfast as well as the GFS.

What would really suck is if the Euro went towards the GFS and the GFS went towards the Euro :lol:

That interaction with the trough/Polar Jet and enhancement form the RF/LF jet quadrants are really going to do wonders with Sandy. Watching that process underdo on satellite is going to be amazing.

Yeah the jet structure is ridiculous. Its almost impossible not to see a lot of strengthening if that jet structure happens. So much upper air divergence under those jet regions all conspiring over the same area.

I was commenting on someone's comments indicating folks in SNE are letting their guard down re the Euro's shift to the south...via the NHC's track ..I know they (NHC) can't do it..but I would expand that cone northward into New England until they are sure that is the track..the cane isn't even up in that direction yet..waaaay to soon for folks to say oh Sandy's gone south..not gonna hit us...to me that is irresponsible for the NHC..cover your basis and all before you sound the all clear!

I sure hope so.

I could see though the euro staying steadfast as well as the GFS.

What would really suck is if the Euro went towards the GFS and the GFS went towards the Euro :lol:

That would actually make the forecast easier. If they both hold serve, it will be very tough to figure this out.

It's clear that Kevin is nervous and preparing himself for a big bust. We know his game... this is how he plays it.

I have a feeling after the 12z runs we'll have a much better idea of what's going to transpire... at least in terms of track.

especially since beginning of phasing is within 72 hours now

I have a couple questions here that might be difficult to answer given the lack of historical precident here but they've been on my mind.

1. Typically at this latitude, the heavy rains are west of the storm, strong winds to the right. As it becomes extra tropical, does that no longer apply as the wind field expands?

2. As an offshoot to my last question on rain, as it becomes extra-tropical and with the jetstream and cold front lurking nearby, what are the chances of a conveyer belt of rain developing on the east side which could bring very large rain amounts to New England assuming the current track into NJ holds?

It's amazing look at the intensity forecasts for the tropical models... almost all of them show a big tick up in the storm's intensity around 84 hours.

Have never seen that before around here.

Just to discuss what the 06 GFS shows. That is possible the worst case scenario for LI sound flooding I have seen yet. Just piles water in and then does not let it escape, south coast of RI with a fetch from hell too. Interesting scenario if this comes North. Much much different ball game than a slam Euro in the Del, obviously bad there but its surge and out there. On the GFS scenario it is multiple tide cycles.

Geez, I hope this doesn't get deleted.

There is no argument here. It's an open forum to discussion. With such disparity in models why can't people take the middle ground. Benchmark track gradual turn NNW. Only the good lord of your choice knows how this will shake out. It was the GEM I thought had a tendency to over amp and this model has LF in Nova Scotia. I dont't know how much weight is given for each parameter in any said model. But does it matter. Maybe someone who studies this can chime in. Nobody can influence the track and intensity by wishing. The reanalysis on this will be fascinating.

The 06 GFS run is epic.

If that were to happen, there would be a boat show on the main line of Amtrak. A lot of boats are still in the water at local marinas and I wonder if the current official track is having people keep their boats in the water longer than they should. If the cone comes north, there will be a 48-hour rush at marinas like we have never seen before.

Archived