Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Sandy/EC Discussion Part IV

andyhb

Agreed... hence my questions earlier:

1) How are GFS/Euro/GGEM verifications with respect to this, and how would an earlier transition impact track?

...that's the toughest question; if a weaker - unexpectedly so - system then is initialized, who knows what detrimental (negative perturbational) influence it will have on the eventual characteristics after merger - also, timing. For one, I am certain that a weaker Sandy would mean faster absorption.

2) NHC has a "Cat 1 hurricane" through landfall... what's the reasoning? Is this just done for public awareness?

...cannot speak for them, but, it does seem a bit like 'common sense' that one of their charges is the ability to diplomatically inform the general masses by heightening awareness, while simultaneously not blowing credibility should they be wrong. That said, a category 1 hurricane might just diplomatically mean the same thing as a powerful hybrid nor'easter - it's just that the integrated storm energy of the latter is an order of magnitude more powerful than the category 1 - but that doesn't matter to J.Q. Public - if their backyard gets a category 1 physical impact, this is a huge, huge score in favor of the NHC because it will have (as in the words of the great Dr. Vinkman), "...Saved the lives, of MILLIONs of registered voters."

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, this storm as teleconnected looked possible with the WP pattern as progged.

Yeah, a scenario that started smelling about 3 weeks ago actually -

it would be ironic is some small perturbation occurred to take SNE out of the drama in the face of all that overwhelming majesty.

Yeah, a scenario that started smelling about 3 weeks ago actually -

it would be ironic is some small perturbation occurred to take SNE out of the drama in the face of all that overwhelming majesty.

One of our guys compared the WP pattern correlations to what the euro and gfs showed. Euro won.

Just a question here, sorry if it was asked before: Most mets will agree that the NAM most often sucks on TC systems but since this system will lose its pure tropical features over time and become more baroclinic do you start to look at its output as being in part of the mix?

It's "utility" seems to increase when other models show a miss.

Just a question here, sorry if it was asked before: Most mets will agree that the NAM most often sucks on TC systems but since this system will lose its pure tropical features over time and become more baroclinic do you start to look at its output as being in part of the mix?

Fair enough question -

While I am less that certain by a good margin how the NAM's intensity and placements are effected by its native handling of internal thermodynamics and fluid mechanics ... I was thinking ... or wondering really, since ALL the player are now finally into the initialization grid of the NAM, could it gain some 'trustability' overall.

I have noted with winter storms in the past that the NAM's reputation for suckiness is way, way over done when the NAM sniffs out events that originate WITHIN its grid. Which makes some significant intuitive sense - if the NAM is dependent on relay of events outside its grid, the model is going to automatically inherit all the biases and/or flat out wrongness of the tool that's doing the relaying.

OT, but one must wonder how the NAM would do if it was processed off a global sample. Interesting. It probably would take about 12 hours to process one run - hahaha

What bothers me is that some other Boston Mets are claiming that Sandy will be coming in south of new england and less effects...ie some wind some rain etc..this is not good,,why because its giving the public a fake sense of calm or backing off like Sandy will really be no problem in that sense..so when Sandy comes in at a 945mb low just south of New England...Oh We made an error on telling the viewers that it was ok now...Some of these few Boston TV mets have to back off from this premise..its disturbing..and sort of irresponsible. as the saying goes...Hope for the best and prepare for the worst..

What bothers me is that some other Boston Mets are claiming that Sandy will be coming in south of new england and less effects...ie some wind some rain etc..this is not good,,why because its giving the public a fake sense of calm or backing off like Sandy will really be no problem in that sense..so when Sandy comes in at a 945mb low just south of New England...Oh We made an error on telling the viewers that it was ok now...Some of these few Boston TV mets have to back off from this premise..its disturbing..and sort of irresponsible. as the saying goes...Hope for the best and prepare for the worst..

The consensus is south. The NHC track is south. What do you expect them to do?

11 am NHC would be bad for NJ and NYC (although not as bad for NYC compared to NW heading) Way too early so say out of the woods there for a bad surge scenario. Anyone remember any other examples of a signicant storm, tropical or otherwise, moving just south of NJ perpedicular to the coast?

Yeah I shook my head at some of the calls. Look at that gradient. There will be a ton of wind on the MA east coast. It would not be good if strongest winds came in with high tide. Not saying lock in 60+, but 40 to 50 at the least imo. Unless this goes into VA Beach.

Also agree. The 930 progs were comicbook stuff. Has there ever been a sub-940 reading, land stations only, north of, say, ORF? Dim memory recalls 1938 having about 945 someplace on LI.

Marine met forecasting rule when a TC transitions and deepens an XT the lowest pressure in its XT state is often close to its lowest pressure when it was TC. As with any rule there are exceptions but this is often a good starting point for how deep the PT/XT Sandy will be.

I can't help but feel a lot of folks in NYC (weenies excluded) are not going to take the threat from this storm seriously b/c they don't comprehend the potential magnitude of the storm surge. NAM or GFS scenarios materializing will be devastating for a heavily populated area.

It doesn't seem like it's being taken that seriously down here so far. People think it's too late in general to get a hurricane because of the cold waters, and the media took the unfortunate step of comparing this to a Nor'easter at times, which people quickly laugh off. I fear that if the track is more in line with the hurricane models and Euro/ensembles, it would be devastating for many of us. The NAM track would still be bad but the South Shore/NJ coast would mostly have offshore winds.

Did anyone notice this comment from the AKQ NWS Office - thought that was an interesting comment. In line with what some of you have been talking about above

http://kamala.cod.ed...xus61.KAKQ.html

AS FOR THE STRENGTH OF THE SYSTEM...PER HPC DISCUSSION...THE

DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE (CANADIAN, ECMWF, AND GFS INCLUDED) HAS SHOWN

A TENDENCY TOWARDS OVER-DEEPENING TROPICAL CYCLONES AS THEY GAIN

LATITUDE AND/OR UNDERGO EXTRA-TROPICAL TRANSITION OVER THE PAST

COUPLE YEARS...CENTRAL PRESSURE WILL NOT BE NEARLY AS LOW AS EITHER

THE GFS OR ECMWF. STILL...THE PRESENCE OF A 965-970 MB LOW WEST OF

70 W LONGITUDE ON MON WILL LEAD TO STORM FORCE WINDS ACRS THE AKQ

COASTAL WATERS..AND POSSIBLY THE BAY AND CURRITUCK SOUND.

Look at those tropical models and tracks. Look at the SNE disaster ones. The key is the next 24 hours. All the ones closer to SNE go further offshore and take longer to hook back. The ones closer to the Delmarva do not go far to the northeast before being captured. Simple physics right? The upper level low will naturally capture something closer to the coast and swing it farther SW.

Did anyone notice this comment from the AKQ NWS Office - thought that was an interesting comment. In line with what some of you have been talking about above

http://kamala.cod.ed...xus61.KAKQ.html

AS FOR THE STRENGTH OF THE SYSTEM...PER HPC DISCUSSION...THE

DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE (CANADIAN, ECMWF, AND GFS INCLUDED) HAS SHOWN

A TENDENCY TOWARDS OVER-DEEPENING TROPICAL CYCLONES AS THEY GAIN

LATITUDE AND/OR UNDERGO EXTRA-TROPICAL TRANSITION OVER THE PAST

COUPLE YEARS...CENTRAL PRESSURE WILL NOT BE NEARLY AS LOW AS EITHER

THE GFS OR ECMWF. STILL...THE PRESENCE OF A 965-970 MB LOW WEST OF

70 W LONGITUDE ON MON WILL LEAD TO STORM FORCE WINDS ACRS THE AKQ

COASTAL WATERS..AND POSSIBLY THE BAY AND CURRITUCK SOUND.

Yeah I saw that, ultimately I wonder if the Euro is too far west..isbeing indicated by the super low - ridiculously so , pressure it's forecasting? If the processes in the modeling back off to end up with a 950-965mb low would it not tuck it as far west...I'd say that's very likely. JMHO.

Think what you want here to the ones who Euro hug for a Southern track...The GFS and NAM are onto something..and with the more northern movement and all...Sandy is going to Beast all out over New England....My question is just when do they plan on starting to evacuate folks from the E Mass coastline...its pretty clear We have a disasterous event to unfold for New England with the latest runs..which by the way..had a very similar run late last night.

Shear is over 40 kt over Sandy right now, and it's not quite benefiting enough from baroclinic processes. Shear drops below 30 kt per the SHIPS as it turns to the NW off of HSE while it's benefiting much more baroclinicly.

Wow...I didn't realize it was that strong already. Explains the appearance. : GFS tucked NW a bit from the 0z run out to 48 or so.

Archived