wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Sandy/EC Discussion Part IV

andyhb

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

06z GEFS intrl Central NJ or a hair north of that. The tropical models are discouraging and I don't like seeing that and the euro..makes me think south.

However, I think Will and Ryan just said it and we mentioned it yesterday....any little deviation to the right as it turns NW would have big implications due to the geographic layout of the east coast, so that needs to be watched.

Those GEFS start pretty far north and then take a pretty sharp turn...looks like near Sandy Hook or even a shade north.

If the euro is right for you. Not the coast of CT where it will be obviously worse.

My gut is north of NHC fwiw..even with those srly tropical models (which is concerning). I like closer to ACY for now.

Yeah using the euro besides the coast of CT...RI/SE MA this solution would be mundane for inland areas. I think we would still see some strong gusts and isolated damage but nothing extreme at all...it would be areas to our south and west where the major trouble is.

Yeah they are far north. Any little deviation and it means a lot down the road where it hits.

Alot will depend on the exact positioning and timing of the trough as well. If the trough is a bit faster and ends up being further east that would limit exactly how far back to the north and west Sandy gets tucked in but the trough being further back to the west would give a better window for it to take a sharper cut back north and west.

Would also be huge in where the best baroclinic forcing/heaviest rain sets up as well but this appears as if it will be west of SNE regardless.

Its kind of scary just thinking about what is coming to some part of the northeast.. Just heard that 21 people died from the storm so far and as much as I hate to say it more will... As much as I would love to see it come up here it makes me wonder if it is worth it when you know theres going to be alot of people affected in a bad way

Well, regardless it looks as though the coastal flooding into the western sound is going to be a very big deal and in the end the only thing that concerns me. Looks like fresh water flooding will be well sw actually looking forward to the wind aspect. I just wonder when evacuations will start for coastal communities?

not really, I fully understand that other options are there. Bit I also realistic to realize how bad the winds will be even if it does go south.

There probably will be gusts over 50 near the CT coast with Sandy taking a euro track..just don't think you'll see anything more then 40 or 50mph gust. Whoopee if that happens. Obviously different if it is further north.

It's really difficult to really portray this to people around here. With such open solutions still on the table we are closing in on impact and you have to give people enough time to make the proper preparations so it's probably best to hit this on the harder side. Doing this though the public goes into a panic and everyone flips out which is so unnecessary. All people need to do is just stock up on extra food, water, batteries, flashlights, candles, etc...but people go absolutely insane and shop like they will never be able to get to stores again.

If I were a betting kinda guy...I would not let my guard down in New England..really not a smart move...We are still 3 days out..alot can change..Very powerful storm,exspansive wind field...no matter what the Euro says...This morning's GFS run is still showing a decent hit to New England..just saying.

It's way too early to let the guard down.

If I were a betting kinda guy...I would not let my guard down in New England..really not a smart move...We are still 3 days out..alot can change..Very powerful storm,exspansive wind field...no matter what the Euro says...This morning's GFS run is still showing a decent hit to New England..just saying.

I certainly wouldn't let my guard down either...there are still several options on the table here and one of those has us getting hit very hard so until we see this solution get knocked off the table nobody's guard should be down.

There's a difference between not over hyping the storm and letting your guard down. Overhyping is just as bad...since nobody will pay attention to your warnings in the future if you constantly overhype. That is a balancing act you need to play as a meteorologist.

Archived