12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Who Needs Hazel When You Have Sandy

CT Rain

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When things keep changing, yet the results remain strikingly similar every run, then you know something is up. This doesn't seem to be sensitive to perturbations to nearly the same degree as most setups are.

Doesn't mean there is no sensitivity, of course. But this isn't some model fantasy anymore.

Yeah, a few of us have been commenting on this phenomenon in this thread and others around, how bigger events in nature tend to show up earlier, and persist, in model output. The thinking there is that their physical presence hums a bit louder than the din of daily stochastics - as you say, more resistant to perturbations. I like that -

It's interesting. 1993 did this. A few others, too, both the Cleveland Super bomb of Jan26-27, and the Feb 6 deal along the New England Coast of '78... and others. These showed up pretty early and stuck.

Things can still go wrong obviously, the continuity is for so early is pretty awesome. I once saw an event classification by degree of anomaly study - should this go on to do a Euro scenario, one must wonder -

Yeah, a few of us have been commenting on this phenomenon in this thread and others around, how bigger events in nature tend to show up earlier, and persist, in model output. The thinking there is that their physical presence hums a bit louder than the din of daily stochastics - as you say, more resistant to perturbations. I like that -

It's interesting. 1993 did this. A few others, too, both the Cleveland Super bomb of Jan26-27, and the Feb 6 deal along the New England Coast of '78... and others. These showed up pretty early and stuck.

Things can still go wrong obviously, the continuity is for so early is pretty awesome. I once saw an event classification by degree of anomaly study - should this go on to do a Euro scenario, one must wonder -

Well said. The big events often have huge anomalous large scale features (such as blocking) that are not nearly as sensitive to very small nuances as a lot of other weather patterns are. So when a model sees that feature as a dominating factor, it will tend to show the extreme scenario more often than not.

Kinda weird to see 925mb get down to 5dm.

Again... I cannot stress it enough that a storm surge potential flood into lower Manhattan needs to be addressed. I believe based on the current indications that's quite warranted.

Fork' is right - just slightly SW and we got a big problem there. We may already though, if this stalls on the Island and retrogrades W.

Also Narr. Bay is in trouble with this sort of solution

I've been laughing this storm off the past two days...but obviously the chances of some sort of direct impact to SNE are becoming a better possibility it seems with each run. Gotta love the EC...verbatim a 50-55kt storm landfalling around Montauk then making a second landfall in CT somewhere between BDR and Old Saybrook. Kinda makes me want to run out and buy a generator.

Here is this AM's 12z Run of NOGAPS. From Valid for 00z Sunday & 12z next Monday..its surface pressure and wind with 850 temps and qpf. BTW total qpf from NGP for Saturday thru Monday period (144 hrs) for ENY and WNE in the 5-8 rainge. I would imagine much higher amts across uplope areas especially of the Berkshires and probably the Catksills.

post-110-0-10110000-1351022848_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-62407400-1351022484_thumb.jpg

FWIW....JMA went with the GGEM....so the Euro lost two lightweights, and picked up the GFS ensemble mean......a wash????

I think the GGEM's ridiculously fast speed might be affecting its model output. It does get captured at 144 hours, but it's already way north at that point. I'm just not sure its speed is realistic. Perhaps if it were a bit slower, it would have gotten captured at a further south latitude and still been a hit...

Though previous solutions were also pretty fast and still showed a hit.

FWIW....JMA went with the GGEM....so the Euro lost two lightweights, and picked up the GFS ensemble mean......a wash????

I tend to think so - we are beyond 144 hours on this thing.

beyond 144 hours - repeat - beyond 144 hours -

Yes, as D' and I were just discussing, this system/event probably has some resistance to the standard perturbation model of the atmosphere do to it's association to larger than normal parameters. Still, at more than 6 days we got time to iron out a curve ball or two.

I suspect that we will coalesce upon or near LI in time ... then relay into Dec, 21, 2012 apparently - :arrowhead:

Again... I cannot stress it enough that a storm surge potential flood into lower Manhattan needs to be addressed. I believe based on the current indications that's quite warranted.

Fork' is right - just slightly SW and we got a big problem there. We may already though, if this stalls on the Island and retrogrades W.

Also Buzzard's Bay is in trouble with this sort of solution

Narragansett Bay?

(sorry for IMMBY (in my mom's backyard))

Archived